Pepin Ice?

• Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Will it be warm enough the next 5-6 days to open up the lake?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you mean to open up the lake wide open…I’d say no chance. There’s 24-30″ in most places. The shorelines will get thinner and creeks/rivers dumping in will maybe cause some damage, but it’s still early in my opinion.

haleysgold
    SE MN

In a word. Nope.
    Still 20+ inches on most of it.
    You can fish the river though ! Open either side of Red Wing for miles both ways.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I know it’s a long shot.

Just looking to break in a new motor.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I know it’s a long shot.

Just looking to break in a new motor.

Without doing much investigating, I’d say that there is currently more ice on Lake Pepin than last year at this exact time. I’m not sure of that official ice-out date…but I’d be shocked if we beat it this year. It would take a warm spell that keeps temperatures above freezing at night for a consistent period of time.

The Corps did take ice measurements starting about a week or so ago with an airboat at over a dozen locations I believe. Someone usually shares that data on here.

I’d take the boat up in the Red Wing area. You should not have to deal with too much floating ice or debris in the next week or two. Below Pepin stays mostly open too from this time of the year forward, but you’re at the mercy of whenever the Chippewa River starts to break loose (which happens much earlier).

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

The river will be fine and have done sever break in there. This would be a great weekend plus you & Tyler could fish freeze your butt. 2 birds, one stone !

riverfishin11

Talk to the guys at everts and 4 seasons they can help you out yeah you might have to pay but its a open ramp and good knowledge of the river right now

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

There is a very good chance that you could still be ice fishing in april. Unless we have way above average temps. . rrr

Ryan P
    Farmington

Here is the corp ice thickness site if you are looking for it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Now that’s thick…..

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

http://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/Ice-Measurements/

Here’s what I have always referenced. It does show some comparative data to years past and the approximate locations where each measurement is taken. With taking those measurements into account and the 10 day forecast, I’d say we are on-pace for a very average ice out. There is slightly more than average ice at this point of the season, but there are some impressive temperatures in next week’s forecast also.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Apparently I suck at posting links….anyway see buckybadger’s post. That’s the one I use too. It is really quite thick this year.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.