Pellet Smokers/Grill

• Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Looking at a new Pellet Smoker/Grill
    Any suggestions on what brand to buy ?
    You hear a lot about Treager that they were the first ones to make them.
    I see a lot of others now make them.

Do any of you guys use one ?

I’m just looking for one for home use, nothing commercial, just on the patio.

Thanks

Iowaboy1

I bought a green mountain Daniel Boone model about two months ago and so far I have been fairly happy with it.

I havent had time to smoke something on it for hours on end yet,but I can see where it will shine as it holds the low temp of 150 degrees very well when windy,and it has no problem getting up to and holding 400 degrees, ( havent needed 500 yet ) and its easy on pellets.

I got two bags of their own competition blend pellets and they do an excellent job on burgers and steaks,I personally didnt care for them when used on chicken so I bought pit boss brand pellets at menards in hickory and apple for that.
    I am going to try a different brand yet again as I am not getting the real hickory taste that I was used to before,havent tried the apple yet.

the wife has done several cakes and pizzas on it,and I will tell you there is no reason to ever fix those in a conventional oven again!! flat out awesome is all I can say!!
    she even like it better than the gas oven we have inside.

bacon on that thing is unreal also,it can even make a hot dog edible!
    I really wish I could replace my oven with it in the house as it does a much better job with the hint of smoke flavor it adds to the food cooked on it.
    it is electric but it does not use the element to create heat,it is only there to ignite the wood and uses the wood and a fan to make the heat and it does that very well.
    energy consumption is about equal to leaving a 150 watt light bulb on for an hour when used at the upper temperatures and maybe 50 watts on low temps.

I chose it over traeger as it was fifty pounds or so heavier and better built IMO.
    mine is non wi-fi,I bought it on sale with a top shelf and cover for 699 and some change,I ended up buying the thermal blanket and front shelf later on to use on it this winter.
    it came with a temp probe that has been spot on out of the box.
    cant wait to use this thing to its full potential,and I am sure by what I have seen so far,it will do just fine.

clean up is easy,the one I bought has a trap door on the side of the pellet box so you dont have to vacuum them out when changing to a different flavor of pellets.

I am not far from you,if you want to stop by and try it your self,you are welcome to do so.

dingerboy8292

I studied all the pellet grills for a long time due to being such a big investment. I ended up going with RecTec and absolutely love it! Check them out you will not be disappointed!

?????

When Trager first came out they were great then thye got bigger and started manufacturring on the more economical side. I have had two of them and still have my original that is over 10 years old. The second Trager was a POS. I now have a Memphis which is made in Minnesota all Stainless Steel set up really well and will last longer than any other. However that comes at a cost and you get what you pay for. The Memphis will smoke at 160 and sear a steak at 650 so you have the best of both worlds. I used to have a gas grill for just searing steaks now that the Memphis will reach 650 I got rid of the gas grill. The Memphis is also insulated so it works great all winter long. We use it alot. Best veggies you will eveer have. I will say we still buy some Trager seasonings. Just ordered more Veggie shake and we use alot of it even in the oven in the house. Good luck in your decision as there are alot of good products out there and really any of them wil lwork well if you take good care of them.

gary d
    cordova,il

I have a Traeger pellet smoker/grill. I love it. If you watch the imfro-commerical on TV. It is just like they say. Easy to start and pretty easy to cook on. I have done roast, chicken, hambergers, brat/bacon and home-made pizza, pork and beef ribs. I’m sure they all work about the same way but one thing is for-sure is that you use the right pellets and not use pellets that have fillers add to them. One more thing it is easy to clean and I like that! Good luck on the you pick! coffee

King Dinger
    Mn

I bought the Green Mountian Daniel Boone WiFi model and I love it. I smoke a lot of meats and with it getting down to 150 degrees and as high as 500 degrees and it stays where you want it. I use the Lumberjack competition blend pellets for many uses and really like the taste. BBQrs Delight also have great pellets. Putting ribs on tomorrow and salmon on wed. Well built and easy clean up. WiFi is awesome as I can control my grills temperature from anywhere on my property from my smartphone using there app.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Been using a green mountain Daniel Boone for about a year at the cabin. A little more cash than the Traeger but the higher quality is more than worth it.

Can’t speak to rec tec. Memphis looks like the best out there but a price to match

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I have the Memphis and it has worked great for us. We have cooked brisket, pork butts, pizza and everything in between. WE love it.

MWal

huntinforfish

Rec Tec Mini here. Been very happy with it for the first year. Used for both smoking and grilling. I do wish I would have went with the large model that has the direct sear option though.

castle-rock-clown

I bought a Myron Mixon pellet smoker grill. I got it from Gander Mountain for 400 bucks. Almost a carbon copy of the Treager. It works great, and the price is right. These grills due to their electronics are not supposed to be left outside in the rain. I bought a plastic shed to store it in just off the patio and keep my pellet supply dry in there too.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Not trying to hyjack the post here but I have a question. What does it look like when your grill is on smoke? Like white out? Smoke everywhere? Or just a small amount wafting out? I have a pit boss and I’ve been happy with the meat I’ve cooked. Just wondering if my grill is working properly. In my mind i imagine a complete white out coming out of the chimney…thanks!

gary d
    cordova,il

Not trying to hyjack the post here but I have a question. What does it look like when your grill is on smoke? Like white out? Smoke

I always start my on smoke. When smoking, it will put a lot of smoke out the first 4 or 5 mins then go’s with short puff of smoke from than on. On smoke temp runs around 200 degs. White smoke.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Thanks gary. That’s what mine does as well. waytogo

castle-rock-clown

I just got done grilling brats on mine. I set it to high and about 30 minuets later I had very robust perfectly bronzed brats with slight grilling marks. Internal meat was juicy and very tender. Casings were tender… No burning. I love this thing, it makes it look like I know what I’m doing.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I picked up a GMG Daniel Boone wi fi grill in April
    I think I paid around 800 bucks with a cover and a bag of pellets.
    I highly recommend buying a GMG. I’ve had zero problems with mine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.