Patch or Snake?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have a cousin that’s a very experience rifle shooter…he feels the Snake bore cleaners are totally crap and is hard core into the brush and patch.

I’ve used them on pistols and love them. Looking down the bore of a pistol after using a Snake gives me the warm fuzzies.

I would think it would be the same for a rifle.
    Solvent goes on the first Snake and once I see the bore is clean, I have a second snake to run though with a little Rem Oil.

Your thoughts/experiences?

Ivan Knapp

I have several of different calibers and gauges. I really like them

saddletramp

I don’t think anything beats a brush and patch,but I use snakes in between deep cleaning rifles, and all my revolvers, and autos if I don’t feel like field stripping them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t think anything beats a brush and patch,but I use snakes in between deep cleaning rifles, and all my revolvers, and autos if I don’t feel like field stripping them.

This is the general consensus among serious shooters. I dont shoot that often and have used nothing but snakes in my shotguns and rifles the last few years. I use cleaning rods in my short guns.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Absolutely love snakes! I have been impressed since the first time i used them. To look down a barrel after a snake has gone through is a beautiful thing.

404 ERROR
    MN

Nothing but snakes for me. Unless it was a Pdog trip and I’m throwing lots of .223 down my M77 MK2, then I’ll brush and patch.

All this info was retained before I surrendered all of my firearms.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Did Obama get ’em?

deertracker

If I had guns I would use a rod and patch. Never tried a snake. I’ve wanted to try them though. Good to hear a good review on them.

DT

wkw

And all this time I thought BK was scared of snakes !

gimp

I spent over 42 years in the military and cleaned weapons from the 1911 45 ACP To M2 50 cal. Machine Guns, and all thing in between. we used the bore snake on a few different cal. weapons and I prefer the snake over a rod and brush or patch any day. JUST SAYING.

deertracker

I just bought a snake for my son’s .17. Can’t wait to try it.
    DT

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I just bought a snake for my son’s .17. Can’t wait to try it.
    DT

This is the only caliber that has given me any trouble with a Bore Snake. If you get a lot of debris built up, the drop line isn’t weighted heavy enough to slip from chamber to barrel end without working it like a plum bob. So far, that’s my only filed complaint against the product line. I use them in all types of firearms and love them for light cleaning. However, I took the brush and patch challenge and I found it to be more thorough. If I know a firearm is going to be sitting a while, I’ll brush and patch it thoroughly, then use the bore snake to oil down the barrel. So far, so good! Every last one of them looks as good as the day they came out of the box.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.