Doldrums Bluegill

• Todd_NE

Just a little tip, when bluegills get tough to catch and even to harder to find or make bite in the hotttt weather don’t be afraid to “troll ’em up”.

I like to take small lures like Mann’s 5A’s, Salmo Hornets, trout sized husky jerks with a couple of split shot, etc. and troll for big bulls. In NE Nebraska right now it seems the fish are holding in about 5-12′ in low light periods then sliding out over as much as 25′ of water as the sun gets higher. The fish seem to remain about 8-10′ down though suspended over lake basins.

The last week or so I’ve been running 75-100′ of fireline with small linecounters and 7′ light tipped rods at 1.8-2.2 mph and killing the gills along with occasional bonus fish.

One particular lake I fish has a lot of brushpiles and weedgrowth and trolling just off this edge has been the most productive. It’s kind of fun to catch fish like this when everyone thinks you are walleye fishing As a bonus, kids really figure out fishing like this quick and keeping the boat moving keeps them happier it seems.

jjsherm

I do a bit of panfishing in W Wisc and have found that drifting provides much the same result. The Cubby Lures work extremely well as do the flu flu’s.
    jjs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.