white bass

• tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

I will be fishing a lake with a good white bass population tomorrow. I have never targeted them through the ice. Wondering if there is any info out there on finding them. like tackle, depths, bait etc. -Dan

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Me… it depends on how aggressive they are at the time. I like small, silver spoons. Tip with minnow head if you need to, but usually when they are on the rip, it takes less meat. Stained water, rattle spoons.

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

C G, are you finding them in deep basins like crappies. Suspended or off bottom?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Spoons and jiggn raps
    try with and without meat..

work the heck out of the bait till they come in and then play cat and mouse teasing them up higher into the water column

Good luck !! they can ge a BLAST !!!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Quote:

C G, are you finding them in deep basins like crappies. Suspended or off bottom?

I have not been out much recently, but I think it depends on the body of water. The WI river system we seem to get them in areas chasing crappies on the channel edges. Lake Winnebago, a bigger flat body with more clear water, guys will start working around basins outside the mouth of rivers and such.

Good luck, they’ll be fun when you find them.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Quote:

Spoons and jiggn raps
    try with and without meat..

work the heck out of the bait till they come in and then play cat and mouse teasing them up higher into the water column

Good luck !! they can ge a BLAST !!!

That pretty much summed it up as that is how we get ’em on Lake Wisconsin through the ice. I will add that both zip lures (yellow) and jig & plastic work very well too.
    We typically find them in the same place as crappies – the white bass are a lot more cooperative usually.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

We have a Silver bass and a White Perch in NYS. Neither is very good table fare kind of soft and mussy. Are either of these related to your Midwestern white bass?

BBKK
    IA

Silver bass would be a white bass.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.