Introduced to Lake Delton

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Saturday February 2nd Mike and I were introduced to a new to us body of water, Lake Delton. This lake is in recovery after a road wash out a few years back and it looks to be shaping up nicely for the white and black crappies. With some selective harvesting and letting a majority of fish go to grow this lake will be a paper mouth heaven to fish in another 2 years. Our average size crappie were 9-9.5 inches and healthy. We did keep a few for a fish fry but we also released a lot of fish. If it didn’t hit the 9.5 inch mark it swam free, and a few that did hit the mark were kept. Pictured here is what Mike and I kept to split up. We will be back when they have another year or 2 of plumping up.
    We fished in 13-16fow. Marks raced from the bottom to meet the offerings at 10 feet. A number of small Yellow Bass also kept us entertained on this beautiful warm winter day. The colors and style baits working were the red mayfly, lumina copper mudbug and my favorite, seat potato mudbug all from B-YBAITS. Once a mark met the jig a rising action would trigger the bite.
    I also found by drilling a good number of holes, a guy could pick up more fish by bouncing around. If the first drop didn’t produce an intruder on the MarCum the Bait was removed and dropped below the ice in a new hole. This was repeated until pulling a mark. Sometimes 2 or 3 fish could be caught out of the same hole before having to move on. With a light snow falling now and then, the sun poking out at times and, no wind, hole hopping was very enjoyable on this day. Fresh air does the body good. Until we meet again Lake Delton, may you keep your crappies on the chew and growing fat n sassy!

ec1
    NULL

Sounds like an awesome day when the marks are shooting upwards!

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Nice job guys ,if I knew you were coming down I would have met you guys out there. Awesome lake to fish again.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Is the top middle fish a black or a white? Or both? Can they mix?

Either way… Nice fish

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The white crappie is middle left.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Next time Jeff. Being we were invited we weren’t about to step out of bounds. The lake does show potential and we plan on making another trip next year to check on the progress of those crappies.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Yes that is clearly a white. I was saying the top middle fish looks a bit like it could be either variation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.