almost a state record

• tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

I fished a Brainerd area lake this weekend and found the best population of monster pumpkinseeds ive ever seen. over the course of three days i caught over 100 in the 10 inch range. I only measured a couple. I probably caught the record several times over but didnt realize it was only 10.1″. Here is one 10″er that i measured and photographed, then released. One of those days everything worked how I’d hoped.

Jackofallspecies
    Andover, MN

Wow, what a jackpot. That sounds like a blast. That fish looks like it has some pretty strong bluegill hybridization going on but that doesn’t detract any from it being an incredible fish – awesome catch!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice fish TC!

Bet they put a bend in the ol catfish pole!

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Nice one TCcat. Love to fish the pans . Usually go to Cedar Lake in Aitkin. We catch alot , but not like that Great pic. Thank You Wil

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Quote:

Wow, what a jackpot. That sounds like a blast. That fish looks like it has some pretty strong bluegill hybridization going on but that doesn’t detract any from it being an incredible fish – awesome catch!

Is this a hybrid? maybe this is why so many giants. ive never seen seeds this size in my life.

BBKK
    IA

Those are hybrids, pumpkinseed/bluegill.. they can reach up to 12″ in a good lake/pond. A full pumpkinseed would have no stripes

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

I fished Balsam Lake in Polk Co. WI 2 weeks ago. We caught several true pumpkinseeds like the one pictured immeadiately above that were 8″+ but non over 9. Did get a few 9 1/2″ gills tho.

neverhome
    Anoka county

I thought those were pumkinseeds also. We were on vacation last week up north and got many 10 inchers and one that went over 11. They looked just like that, I thought they were pumpkinseed also. This is the only trip I fish sunfish and it is a blast. Either way, they are big, tasty and fun to catch! Nice work

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

good info, thanks guys.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

awesome fish….looks like something you’d expect to see swimming around some coral reef or something.

Bobby5

Wow TCcat, what a great fishing day…a dream come true. And thanks for the pics…truely some slabs. NICE!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.