Panfishing the Missiissippi Backwaters

• jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I’ve never fishing the backwaters and have seen a couple of recent posts that have made my mouth water. Not that I want any spots on ths spots, but what is the best way to start finding and fishing the backwaters. Any tips would be appreciated. And any info on safety. Thanks in advance.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Ditto to what Jeff said. It can be a little daunting unless you get to tag along with someone that has a clue. But, the rewards of doing it on your own can be indescribable.

saugeyeshaw
    Winona, Minnesota

Panfishing is easy this time of the year, just look for the crowd that delelopes in many backwater areas. Look for the row of cars parked along the highway or street that is usually not there and then follow the trail to stay safe. It’s a good bet that you won’t go through where others have already walked. Including the lake, in Winona there are at least 6 placed within 15 minutes I could fish. Most people are fairly friendly or if not, won’t come out of their shacks. Fish in the crowd! A small ice fly and a waxie is all one really needs, but the vets will get more elaborate. Personally, I want to pike fish.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I fish pretty much anything that swims so pike are not safe either. Are there any places you can get to on the Wi side?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.