Targeting River Crappies ?

• bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Pools 9-14 area. What kind of areas do you guys find crappies in backwater area,running sloughs,main channel where do you find the crappies at this time of year on the good ol Mississipi river.And what techniques and structure are you using to find fish and eliminate unproductive water this time of year.

Brian Lyons

Sorry, I just now saw this

We used to fish crappie on pool 10 above PdC year round. Best bet for me in summertime is always main channel riprap, this assuming normal summer low flow. The stretch above the yellow river, near the day marker is a good start. Side channel brush with some current is another go to. Don’t overlook the inside corner on the downstream side of wingdams, they often hold crappie. The wing dams in the east channel come to mind.

As far as baits go I like hair jigs from 1/64 to 1/16 pitched to riprap with or without minnow. The slower the flow or thicker the brush the lighter the jig. At times a small cork & minnow is still a hot bait for brush in low flow side cuts .
    Hope this helps….B

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I agree with Brian.
    Crappies like deep this time of year so when looking for some slight current with a lot of wood you also want some deep water around.
    Scour holes behind wingdams sometime are holding wood. These are hot spots this time of year on pool 8.
    You do not need to spend a lot of time on one spot to know if the crappies are around or not. Be willing to keep moving every 15-20 minutes until you have located a school.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Thanks, Brian & Bret I’ve never tried fishing the inside corner on the downstream side of a wingdam,I’ll have to give this a try.
    Rick,

saldydog
    Scales Mound IL

I fish pool 12 and in addition to the holes below the wing dams i also find them near RR bridges w/riprap

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.