Pool 4 Backwaters panfish

• jesse
    mn

Headed out early this morning to Wabasha just across the high bridge. Five to six inches of good ice. Saw hundreds of sunfish, many perch a few largemouth, and two northerns on the aqua-view. Best bait for me was a small green and yellow teardrop with two waxies on. Tried for several hours switching colors and size of jigs, they would suck it in and spit it right back out. Put on two waxies, and at times the jig wouldn’t make it to the bottom before being inhaled. Fished several depths, and only had luck in about four feet of water. I did not see one crappie the whole time out. Fished from 8 am to 1:30. All in all probably caught 50 sunfish and a few perch (some decent size to boot). Fished by myself so I didn’t take any photos. Lots of people on the ice today. Good luck and set the hook!!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report. Seems like the backwaters in areas of no current has the best ice right now from what I’m hearing and seeing. Great to have a safe place, and shallow water too, to go to until more ice can be made in other places. And the fishing is good too.

Thanks, Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.