Favorite Area And Presentation For Fall Panfish?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What is everyones favorite area for catching fall panfish and why? What presentations have worked best for you? Thanks, Bill

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

I DO MOST OF MY PAN FISHING ON POOL 13. I LOVE TO FISH SUBMERGED WOOD. THE BEST WOOD SEEMS TO BE THE ISOLATED PIECE THAT DOESN’T LOOK LIKE IT HOLDS FISH. THE BEST CRAPPIE ACTION I’VE HAD CAME FROM A SUBMERGED BUSH THAT HAD ONLY 1 TINY BRANCH STICKING OUT OF THE WATER. ONCE I GOT CLOSER I COULD TELL THERE WAS MUCH MORE TO IT. IT WAS THE SIZE OF A SMALL CHRISTMAS TREE. IT WAS LOADED WITH CRAPPIES. NICE SIZED ONES TOO. I THINK THAT CURRENT IS ALSO A MUST. NOT ALOT BUT SOME.
    I ALSO LIKE BRIDGE PILINGS. IT’S NICE IF THEY HAVE SOME CURRENT TOO. THESE PILINGS TEND TO HOLD CRAPPIES AND BLUEGILLS BOTH.
    WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS HOW TO GET WHITE BASS IF THEY ARE NOT ACTIVELY FEEDING. I KNOW OF SPOTS WHERE THEY HOLD, BUT I CAN’T TURN THEM ON.

AS FAR AS GEAR I USE A 7′ SPINNING ROD SO I CAN DROP THE BAIT IN SMALL HOLES WITHOUT GETTING TO CLOSE AND DISTURBING THE COVER. I USE A THILL FLOAT THAT HAS AN RUBBER TUBE TO HOLD IT ON. THIS IS GREAT FOR SNAGS. WHEN I GET SNAGGED I CAN REAL TO THE SANG AND GET IT OUT WITHOUT DISTURBING THE COVER. AND I US A JIG HEAD THAT I MAKE MYSELF, JUST BIG ENOUGH TO SINK THE MINNOW. FOR BLUEGILLS I USE THE SAME OUTFIT BUT WITH 1/64 OR SMALLER ICE JIGS AND WAXIES.
    I HAVE A THEORY I WOULDN’T MIND GETTING SOME FEEDBACK ON. DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT CRAPPIES AND BLUEGILLS MIX OR WILL ONE TREE HOLD EXCLUSIVELY BLUEGILLS AND THE NEXT HOLD CRAPPIES? AND IF SO, HOW CAN YOU TELL WHICH WILL CRAPPIE AND WHICH WILL HOLD BLUEGILLS WITHOUT ACTUALLY FISHING IT? WATERDEPTH? CURRENT? TBASS

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

My only experience of catching both have been in regard to weedbeds, not trees or submerged limbs and bushes. I’ve found crappies and bass together, but not crappies and gills. I’ve also found areas of perch only. To spot a difference I think is sketchy at best but I’ve learned if I pull out a gillie, I’ll likely get more gillies. If I pull a crappie, I tend to get more crappies. When panfishing, which I get doesn’t effect me. A tug is a tug and they all taste good! I tend to return to areas expecting the same species results and sometimes it happens but I’ve found that even the same place can be inconsistent.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I certainly get a mix when ice fishing wood…normally crappies suspended over the gills. I don’t panfish softwater regularly so that may not count ;-)

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Bill right now for bull bluegills on pool 9 . Threeway swivel,tiny piece of worm on a bare hook with a small splitshot on 12 inch dropper . We are fishing on the shelf and upper face of the upstream side of wingdams. Don’t have a clue on crappies right now , but we are searching a little everyday. Lawrence

2Fishy4U

On Pool 6 a deep water slough/backwater with lot of trees down, etc. We go to the same place every year but no one has found so best to give a general despcription. Find trees down in fair;ly deep water and yu will do fine. We use crawlers and minnows; the latter in case crappies are in the same area.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

pool 4 by far like to use ice fishing jigs and minnows yyyuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

2Fishy4U

Best spot for the fifteen years has been a hugh downed tree in 6-15 feet of water. The tree is in a slough in back of a second channel. Great for Sunfish on Oct/Early Nov and ometimes Crappie.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Backwater channels in the deeper runs after the river comes out of a turn. Fallen or submerged timber in 10’+ of water is all that much better. These areas typically get hopping in August each summer once the flows drop to normal levels… which never really happened this year. Favorite bait? Small bucktails or plastics with or w/o a smaller minnow…. held 18″ off the bottom.

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

Backwaters on both pools 4 & 5 …Though they seem to be coming up a bit shallower now with the cooler weather…5 to 10 feet..and All I use in the fall is waxies…sometimes on a plain hook most often on a ice fly fished below a slip bobber …and wood for the crappies with a gental “pull” now and then!!!!

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

This is not the most productive gill bait but it worked for me in catching my largest gill ever. I was bass fishin with a Zoom super fluke and 4/0 hook. A big pond gill hammered it and had it all in his mouth . Real nice gill , I would guess it was 11 in.+. Can’t wait till it ices over to catch him again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.