Painting dash

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ve been working on getting my 2001 prosport ready to recarpet and I’ve decided to add new vinyl on the sidewalls and console tops as well. I plan on keeping in the tam/khaki color family but I don’t think the new vinyl in any event is going to match the plastic (or whatever this is) of the console top. Any one have experience with a paint that would stick and last on this material, or am I better off just leaving it somewhat mis matched? It seems like it’s a plastic, but not in the se way as the newer plastics, almost like it is a fiberglass base.

Wasn’t originally planning to redo that vinyl so that is why I have it just strung up out of my way for carpeting purposes in this picture.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210113_230707527.jpg

navtiller
    chippewa falls

any thought about having it dipped?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You’ll need to clean it.
    Scuff it up.
    Paint with something meant to adhere to plastic.

I doubt it’ll look better than it does now.

The plastic you have there is colored, not painted.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Holy crap, you have quite the project going on there. waytogo

JEREMY
    BP

You could use something like this.

Attachments:
    1. 0114211106.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

One of the spray paint makers (I think Rustoleum) makes a “tuff paint”. I can’t recall exactly who or what the name is, but something to that effect. It is a super heavy duty dull finish paint, almost like a truck bed liner.

I think something like that would make it look new and have the best chance at staying in place over the long haul.

Nice project, BTW.

realtreeap10
    Over there

As FBRM said – clean it and scuff it. That is the most important part of the whole thing. Getting every nook and cranny cleaned and de-greased is 95% of the painting project. If not done correctly that paint may only last a short time. Dupli-color has an adhesion promoter spray and vinyl paint that work together as a decent pair.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thanks guys, had a second ‘bright’ idea come to me this morning. Being this is an older Lund it’s got the consoles where the only part of the console that is above the gunnel top is that plastic part. I’m debating making next winters project doing a vinyl wrap on the outside so it looks as nice as the interior will after this project is done (planning to try myself, partially because I’m a cheap arse and partially to prove I can figure it out). Which brings me to this mornings bright idea, what if I attempted to wrap this with vinyl? Would be way harder than what I plan for the exterior so if I can do this the exterior would be a breeze (and if not I should be able to get ‘back’ to what it looks like now with no permanent damage).

I’m thinking this for the wrap, exterior is solid gloss black now so it’s not a huge change in the exterior color.

Attachments:
    1. 818yN6dHG6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.