Paddle vs Twister Tails

• happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Can anyone explain the advantages of the different options for walleye/crappie fishing? I assume that water temp along with time of year plays a part, but I’d love to hear from the experts!

Thank you,
    Ryan

B-man

I like paddle tails, especially in dirty-dark-stained-or algae water.

They put out the vibe cool

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only thing I can think of is the paddletail gives off significantly more vibration than a twister tail. If you have a sensitive rod you can feel the difference.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I like paddle tails, especially in dirty-dark-stained-or algae water.

They put out the vibe cool

Deuces

Great one gill!

If agree with b man. Not all paddles are made alike tho. Pulse Rs good dingy but when it clears up in fall the original paddletail starts to shine for me. Same ringworms. Could be water temp sensitive in addition to clarity.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The only thing I can think of is the paddletail gives off significantly more vibration than a twister tail. If you have a sensitive rod you can feel the difference.

Is that right? jester

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Speaking from a crappie perspective on the Mississippi right now with dropping water temps, these have been working super good. With cooling water in the near 50 degree range right now size of the bait will begin to play a more important role in catching crappies and three inch baits will fall by the wayside. 2″ to 2 1/2″ baits will get fewer fish. Shown are baits in the 1 1/2″ to 1 3/4″ sizes that I depend on. The fluke is a 1 3/4″ bait slightly longer than the paddletail.

Both of these fish very well on 1/32 to 1/16 collarless heads. Both of these fit right in with the size of the forage base right now. Both have a somewhat limited amount of tail action when compared to a twister and that will make a difference. Summer fish in warm water will go nuts for a twister but as the water cools the fish are starting to show signs of slowing down some so get baits on them with a bit less action is paying some nice rewards.

Of the two baits shown, I generally like the fluke bait to get started in the morning simply because it is so close to the size and shape of the forage that crappies will be chasing nearer the surface. As the day gets brighter the crappies begin to get deeper and the paddletail offers just a bit more action and noise from the tail but also offers a little larger profile. The bait color shown offers the transparent look that the forage is seen as but also offers some flash from the multi-color glitter. These baits have uv enhancement cooked right into them and show up in very deep water which also becomes a plus.

I do well with these two baits in the Mississippi as well as lake waters. White with a chartreuse tail is also a great color scheme as is purple/chartreuse. Actually any color with a chartreuse tail will work well, just at different times of the day and depending on the sun’s angle on the water. The twister has a place and time, but right now is not it.

If a person really wants to increase the catching potential of plastic baits, they can give their baits a bath in rubbing alcohol to remove packing oil, then allow them to dry thoroughly. When dry, slip them into a jar of Gulp 1″ minnows and leave them there. Plastic baits will not absorb the scent deep into the plastic but its much like getting sprayed by a skunk….the scent is hard get off and sticks around a while. I carry bags with dry, un-scented baits and jars of Gulp minnows with the cleaned plastic baits mixed in with them. There are days when the scented baits shine. AND there are days when those 1″ Gulp minnows will rise to the occasion.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I troll twister tails for trout and do very well. However, there are days when the fish are finicky and short strike a lot. Does the happen with the paddle tails as well?

hnd

we get paddle tails bit off all the time. When water is high and dirty we run paddle tails. when its clearer we run tails. Not really hard and fast but typically what we do. Quite frankly i think especially in the fall they are mostly just going to eat whats in front of them regardless of action/color. in the river anyways.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

When they’re short striking, even then my paddle tails will get bitten off too.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I like to slow way down or use a pause if I’m getting bit short. Seems like a random pause or just dropping the rod rip back a foot or so will trigger a more aggressive bite. Works well with plastics or cranks.

When the water is dirty or fast on the river I get a lot of bites close to the boat. I think the walleyes will follow those baits from cover versus ambushing them. A pause near the boat triggers a lot of strikes for me.

B-man

Got a toad this weekend on a big paddle tail woot

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20191021_151035_01.jpg

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Got a toad this weekend on a big paddle tail woot

Wow congratulations, B-man!!! toast

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.