P2 High and Fast Water Eyes

• procor
    Mounds View, MN

Came out to the river and thought I would try for some eyes with this high and fast water. My bro-in-laws marina had their boat launch closed still today, so we had to launch at River Heights. Headed to a couple of spots that have always held fish during high water, but had no luck. The water level and speed in hese spots were much higher and faster than what I expected. Sowe head to so e new backwater areas that are usually 3-4 fow, but now were 7fow+/-, but also still had a good current and actually a seam. It was all new water. After tryin three spots, the rod finally buckled over from what I thought was a snag…but then the snag had head shakes. It is amazing that a 20″ fish in strong current can feel like a 27″er. We found the eyes to be stacked in one short trolling area on both sides of the small back water area. We had to troll so close to the shoreline that it was only good for 2-3 fish before I think they moved from the boat passing over them constantly. Switching to the other shoreline/different area would pick up a couple more while we gave the one spot a rest. After 15-30min, we would hit it again and pick up more. The smash shads, especially the rainbow covered one, worked the best. Nothing huge, but the 20-23″ers in this current can really be fun when they hit.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

The picture didn’t attach…trying again.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Trying one last time

Attachments:
    1. image12.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good to hear they are biting. Joel and I will be down early Saturday morning. Hidden Harbor has their launch open now. You guys back at it tomorrow.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

No, I was out there twice today. Seemed the 9-2 time frame was the most active, but that changes every day.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pretty good bite this morning. Lots of fun chasing high water walleyes. Fish seemed to be setting up on the current seams pretty well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.