outdoor gas griddles

• Pete S

anyone have one, care to share an opinion or two?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Picked up a Blackstone cast iron flat top for the cabin. I use it more than I use the gas grill.
    Bacon and eggs, pancakes, grilled cheese, veggies, dogs, burgers, fried onions.
    I really enjoy using it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My Fire Dept has 4 of the large Blackstone Cast Iron flat tops as well that we use for our pancake breakfast fundraiser every year. Very solid, good cooking machines.

Bullheadfinder

Bumping this thread back up to see if anyone can add anything about griddle vs grill.
    My gas grill is at the end of service and I am thinking of making the switch to a griddle. I have never used a griddle but have heard nothing but high praise on them. All things considered, I will still have a Weber kettle and a smoker for the times when a griddle might now be the best option. Any input is appreciated. And fellows that hit this thread on the first time around, what do you think a couple years later?

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I know nothing about the grills, but I do know if you make pancakes this guy knows where to get some good maple syrup! (Watch the promo video I attached). With that said a friend does have a black-stone and likes it. I have a gas, charcoal and RECTEC smoker, so unless I get more space I can’t justify another grill (for now at least!!)

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I really enjoy the griddle. You can do so much more with it. Love cooking breakfast on it. You can cook everything on a griddle not so much a grill. You still need a grill, but a griddle is great.
    I got the idea when going to fairs, events, food trucks they all use them.

jwellsy

Lot of TV ads for Firedisk. But that’s like $300. You can get a steel propane wok for ~ $70.

Ice Cap

I didn’t buy the Blackstone but went with a Camp Chef Pro 90X 3 burner camp stove and bought the griddles for it. I bought the 24 and 12 inch griddles which is obviously 36″ of griddle surface and covers all three burners. This is a much more versatile set up than just a flat top griddle. You can remove the 12″ griddle and use the single burner for a stock pot for sweet corn for instance while you grill burgers on the other 24″ griddle. Or remove both griddles and have a 3 burner camp stove. Plus it’s portable. It spends all summer up at the lake outside under the pavillion where breakfast is cooked every morning and then it’s at home in the garage all winter where it still gets used.

I’ve had it for 3 years now I guess and I love it the more I use it and never wished once I had gone with a standard flat top griddle. The versatility and portability was perfect for my needs.

I also bought the artisan pizza oven for it last fall. It uses 2 of the 3 burners so you have to swap out the 24″ griddle for the oven. Makes great pizza and also does a great job of cinnamon rolls in the morning to go with that morning coffee when we don’t want a full blown breakfast. You can also get a grill top for it too which I haven’t sprung for yet which basically gives you a two burner gas grill. Like I said, versatility.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The thicker the top the more even the heat will be. Hot spots are what cheap grills produce. It will do the job but requires more paying attention to. Char-broilers are good, grills are good, and the green egg style are good. It just depends on how you want to cook.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I need to get a griddle insert for my Weber Genesis II. I think burgers are best from a griddle.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I do this all the time. Made pancakes this morning and burgers on it tonight. Lodge cast iron grill/skillet.

Attachments:
    1. B8980651-2A00-4DF1-AF0B-85CE9EF3118C.jpeg

Billy whiteshoes

I have had the 36inch blackstone for a few years now and love it. The only thing I don’t like is the grease trap, but they fixed that. I just replaced my camping grill (q120) with the 22 inch blackstone, with legs, hood and adapter for $95 from Walmart.com on friday. I went to attach the link but looks like they have it back at $180.

Between the rectec and griddle I have all my cooking needs covered. Time to sell the grill, haha.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have had the 36inch blackstone for a few years now and love it. The only thing I don’t like is the grease trap, but they fixed that. I just replaced my camping grill (q120) with the 22 inch blackstone, with legs, hood and adapter for $95 from Walmart.com on friday. I went to attach the link but looks like they have it back at $180.

Between the rectec and griddle I have all my cooking needs covered. Time to sell the grill, haha.

Yup, the grease trap sucks. I modified mine a bit and now it drips into the catch pan instead of running back up the drain.

Jeff Gilberg

I have the 22 inch with the stand and hard cover, I love it!
    Smash burgers, bacon, (does’nt stink up the house), cheese steak subs, breakfast, fried rice, etc…
    the new style with the hard cover
    keeps water off the griddle during storage.
    It doesn’t pool on the soft cover.

tswoboda

I do this all the time. Made pancakes this morning and burgers on it tonight. Lodge cast iron grill/skillet.

Your grates are upside down.

tornadochaser

I’m buying the 36″ blackstone before memorial weekend. Got to try one out at an ice fishing get-together a few weeks ago and I loved it.
    It will work perfect for our 8-16 person breakfasts we cook on saturday mornings at the cabin.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I sure dont need it but that portable 17″ unit is calling me!!!!

folke2000

I just got the 22″ with the stand about a month ago (easier portability for camping etc). Really happy with it. I still like the grill for steaks, ribs etc.

Jump in and get a griddle, you won’t be sorry.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just got the 22″ with the stand about a month ago (easier portability for camping etc). Really happy with it. I still like the grill for steaks, ribs etc.

Jump in and get a griddle, you won’t be sorry.

Now I want the 22! Watching videos. Man they look fun.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.