Ottertail Opener 2023

• Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Have never been on the lake. Going there next weekend for the first time. Most likely will start cranking at midnight or early Saturday morning. I am very very familiar with the other big shiner lakes in mn. Is OT any different? Fish the wind in 3-10’ on sand? Anything else? Happily will take some advice or general areas.

Michael Best

The edges of the 2 holes in front of Balmoral is the best spot for opener in my opinion.
    It is a community spot so expect plenty of company.

slough

Never have done opener there but I would think the NE side of the lake where the OT river and Walker inlet come in would be very popular as well.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

If ya got spottails just fish it as you would any other shiner lake. Probably pitching them up into 10-12’ during the day. Plastics ripped shallow, find any sort of emergent weed growth and start there. Those midlake flat’s don’t much for me at all until June. First break, watch the SI, and pitch far.

Shiners will be running in the river… fish won’t be far behind.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Thanks. Kinda what I figured. We’ll get em.

If ya got spottails just fish it as you would any other shiner lake. Probably pitching them up into 10-12’ during the day. Plastics ripped shallow, find any sort of emergent weed growth and start there. Those midlake flat’s don’t much for me at all until June. First break, watch the SI, and pitch far.

Shiners will be running in the river… fish won’t be far behind.

Assuming you mean the river portion between deer and Ottertail? Or upstream of the lake?

Michael Best

If the shiners are running you don’t have to be in any river.
    When I was in high school we used to net them all the time off the dock on amor flat. Always caught fish as well out closer to the break.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.