Otter Pro Lodge question

• Trevor Edwards

Yesterday I caved to impulse and picked up the XL Pro Lodge by Otter.

My question involves towing and the abuse that is inherently caused from towing.

Do any Otter owners have any feedback on how this unit will hold up to loose nuts/screws and such? Any ideas on effective ways to make it less traumatizing to tow across rough ice?

In the past I have backed my ATV off the utility trailer, unhooked the trailer from my pickup and hooked the trailer directly to my atv. I then load up the trailer with my Clam Portage and auger and then have room for a partner to sit and haul plenty of gear. I like this setup but of course the shack/gear tend to bounce on the trailer, especially while fishing solo. It also keeps my shack off the ground to prevent snow/slush from covering everything

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I have cracked a few tubs over the years. One was a otter cabin and the other was a otter lodge. The cabin needed replacement and the lodge tub has been cracked two different times. I used 1/8″x 1″ steel and 1/4″ bolts and some conveyor belt to hold it. All I can tell you is mille lacs lake can do damage to the tub, ice chunks hit at 20,30,40 mph take their toll. I am not complaining about the otter tubs, they have held up to the punishment I have gave them. 25 mile round trip days are not uncommon. I am not trying to scare you, the cracks happened after years of towing. I mostly tow with a snowmobile when there is enough snow, otherwise I use the atv. Covering the otter while in transport will keep snow/slush out.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Just make sure you have the hyfax on them and you should be fine. You’ll just want to check the hyfax for wear occasionally. I put electrical tape over all the screws on my poles and haven’t worried about the bolts/nuts where the poles connect to the tub. Bounced mine around the Winnipeg and other places and everything is still going strong. Granted this is pulling it behind an atv at like 20-25 mph versus flying across the lake on a snowmobile, which would be a totally different ball game.

sktrwx2200

The otter will one of the last things to fail as a result of the abuse of towing. Heaters, lanterns , flashers/transducers.. will not handle the rough stuff..

Also your tackle box.. after running around on Mille lacs for 3 days at 15- 20 mph.. all of my jigs and spoons paint jobs are trashed.. Nice to have a rack on the wheeler for that “sensitive” stuff. Will be doing things differently in the future.

jarrod holbrook

Expensive items like tackle, flasher, heater, etc ride in the sxs. There is no suspension in the sled obviously. I used to run and gun and break stuff. Now I’m the slow and steady guy. Sometimes slush pockets and snow drifts make you speed it up for momentum though. My otter rod case takes care of my rods, but the other stuff rides up with me.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Any bolt should have washers on both sides and use nyloc nuts not lock washers.
    Makes sure to carry extra tow bar pins with you as I have lost them while crossing lakes.
    Use a tow cover even if only in back of truck so it does not fill with snow or catch wind and fly out, yes it has happened to ppl.
    Add hyfax if towing by machine.
    Most importantly, store during summer in mouse free area. don’t rely on any of the sworn tactics to prevent mouse damage.
    If you take care of it from the start it should last years. I still have the old green otter lodge going strong but would love thermal…

Trevor Edwards

what do you guys think about pulling it on the utility trailer? Makes loading and unloading easier when it’s just me or it’s just me and the boys (3 & 5 year olds)? I’m just wondering if there is a reason I don’t see other people doing the same

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Pulling on the utility trailer is fine, but it’ll cut down on your mobility. But given you’re going with a 3 & 5 year old you’ll most likely only be setting up once. So if you’re able to get around on the lake fine, it would be the easiest on your shack.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.