Otter outdoors experience

• philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I see both sides here too, but hate the ‘mic drop’ garbage that happens anytime a mod posts, always comes off as a bunch of grown men browning their noses.

Another thing, I bet it’s a lot easier to clean a zipper like that after it’s been cutoff the canvas and removed from the zipper tracks.

It seems like James followed up with Otter about this though(unless it was the other way around), which is a pretty cool move. Instead of just coming in and trying to stomp the guy out for his bad experience with a sponsor of the site/show, that seems legit.

Me personally, I have had nothing but good experience with my otter, the 3 times I get to use it every year are always positive :(.

jarrod holbrook

James and IDO built his site from the ground up. I have personally become a way better fisherman thanks to his show and tips. If he wanted to cover up a bad product then he would have stayed silent and not acknowledged the incident. I run and pay a premium for otter gear because it is tough and it works. My frabil trekker was covered in newspaper and I got holes from setting it up and taking it down. Cheap Chinese junk. My shanty and rod case are otter. They perform well and exceed my expectations. I recommend it to others. You can buy whatever you want for gear. I’m sorry to hear the zipper screwed up on that shanty. It is weird that it corroded like that. It was repaired for less than $50. I took a bath on my frabil when it was done. I think the last thing that we forget is that this resource, this information, the videos, the forum, are all FREE. Pretty amazing in today’s pay to play world if you ask me.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I want to meet that otter customer rep who actually scrubbed a zipper for 3 minutes and offer em a job. Kudos.

Serious note, my father just bought a lodge and he pulls it on an uncovered trailer with the cover on, should he be concerned with his zippers corroding? Salt and saltwater spray is just part of life in the ice belt.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Honestly I think it was a freak deal. My buddies all run Otters also and I’ve never heard of anything like this.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Serious note, my father just bought a lodge and he pulls it on an uncovered trailer with the cover on, should he be concerned with his zippers corroding? Salt and saltwater spray is just part of life in the ice belt.

I don’t know what exact fabric and treatment other uses, so apply this as you will. Worse than salt is the God forsaken spray they put down here in wi. I’ve had a sno-boat, and an old genz trap have the fabric(coating???) peel after long periods of exposure to that crap. For years I’ve washed my shack in the garage to keep that crap off. My last flip is almost 20 years old and I did everything I could to keep the crap off

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Is “mic drop” some gangster slang I have never heard before? Serious question. Not even in the urban slang dictionary…. yet.

-J.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Its not gangster. its used to signify the end to a discussion. basically like someone just said something that ended all debate on the matter because it is so unequivocally true or it just hit the mark perfectly. Its usually associated with an argument where the “mic dropper” proves his point which then denounces the other parties argument as false. Much of the time the statement involves humor.

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I have a claim in concerning a zipper malfunction(?) so I hope they dont “drop the Mic” on me.. lol lol

outdoorsmn

Honestly I think it was a freak deal. My buddies all run Otters also and I’ve never heard of anything like this.

Saw this thread and thought I’d create an account and chime in. I worked at an outdoors retail store, and zipper issues on certain Otters (not this years models) are not an isolated incident.

I believe the issue has been resolved and should be covered under warranty.

White Ranger

Is “mic drop” some gangster slang I have never heard before? Serious question. Not even in the urban slang dictionary…. yet.

-J.

Yes, it is in the Urban Dictionary. As a sound tech in another life I just shudder whenever I see it. Not good for a condensor mic at all.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yes, it is in the Urban Dictionary. As a sound tech in another life I just shudder whenever I see it. Not good for a condensor mic at all.

Learning more on IDO by accident then other places by design. waytogo

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Same here BK! waytogo

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That didn’t come up on my search. Something about drinking many pints of Guinness is a mic. toast

-J.

broman

Maybe I’m one of the few. But when my Otter rides in the back of my trailer I place a travel cover on it and then a plastic tarp to protect it from road salt. At the end of the season I will put the travel cover into the washer to clean off any salt.

Salt is a bad deal for anything. My garage floor is chewed up by it. Gotta clean it up when possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.