Otter lodge question

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

Going to be upgrading from a cabin to a lodge this year. I have a few questions. I life in North Dakota so it gets cold and windy. Can the lodge be heated to say 40 or so with just a buddy heater or would I have to move up to a big buddy heater. Also I have never had a bench seat I have away went with the two chairs. I was sitting with my 7 year old and the bench seem nicer for him (he can’t sit still to save his life). Is the comfortably close to the seats. Any info would be great.

Cameron white

Going to be upgrading from a cabin to a lodge this year. I have a few questions. I life in North Dakota so it gets cold and windy. Can the lodge be heated to say 40 or so with just a buddy heater or would I have to move up to a big buddy heater. Also I have never had a bench seat I have away went with the two chairs. I was sitting with my 7 year old and the bench seem nicer for him (he can’t sit still to save his life). Is the comfortably close to the seats. Any info would be great.

I’m in Manitoba. With a lodge, big buddy will heat it no problem. Bank the snow around the skirt, you will be in your undies in no time. I suggest the big buddy, just in case you need the high setting on a really cold day. I also use interlocking mats on the ice.

Cameron white

As for the bench, I don’t mind it. Head to scheels and sit in both. I have a friend who modified the bench to go flat for over nighters.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve used my lodge on lotw in -25 and wind and stay relatively warm with a regular buddy heater. It would be nice to have the big buddy because the wind blown side does get a little chilly. The holes on that side might ice a tiny bit too.

Brian Shipka

I’m in northern Alberta. Never needed more than a buddy heater. Fished full days a -30 Celsius on high turning it down once in awhile. At -15 it’s on low with T-shirt’s on. Dawn till dusk on low I use about 1 1/2 pounds of propane

Rob G

I would go with the big buddy. I was on LOW last year and the wind kept it a little cooler, however, I have the resort with the chairs

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Make sure to get the insulated version.

Andy Fischer

I’ve had the Lodge for 2 years now and love it. I use the Hunting Buddy, which is between the regular and big buddy. Plenty of heat and I usually end up in a sweatshirt within 15 minutes. I usually bank up the sides with snow or ice shavings.

Regarding the bench vs. boat-style seats, I have the bench and like it. I like the bench because I can bring the wife and kid and there is room for all 3 of us to sit (I think it’s 58″ wide). I typically jig for crappies, so if your kid is bouncing around like mine does, subtle bites are tough to detect sometimes with the bench moving.

mann4ducks

This is not a clam vs otter question I have a warrior x works great looking for more room. Lodge looks to be 10” shorter in length than my warrior. I would love the extra depth but hate to give up the length. The otter CT he would be could. Question is is the lodge truly 76” long id. Clam states 86””. Is it worth giving up the length for the depth. Thanks. Btw. The wife loves the bench seat sometimes she lays out and takes a nap

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have a Lodge with the bench seat.

Pro-
    I set stuff down on it all the time… food, tackle, tubs of waxes etc…

I can lay down on it.

From my personal experience in both, I like the bench.

Get the Big Buddy heater. This is one instance where buying the biggest (btu) is worth it.
    What’s the cost difference? $70? Itll pay for itself before Christmas.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I use the regular Buddy and have it mounted on the inside of the tub behind the center console. It’s more than enough heat, unless you want to fish in a t-shirt. I can reach back an click it on easily. Mine has the seats, not the bench.

gonehunting

If you aren’t worried about weight go with the Big Buddy. I have one in my lodge and never regretted it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.