Otter lodge or resort??

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

This has been discussed I am sure but I can’t seem to find it. I am looking to buy one to be able to fish the family. I have an 11 and 13 year old boy that will only get bigger. Normally it will be the 3 of us fishing, however 50% of the time, my wife or my father in law will be along as well. Can 4 people be comfortable fishing in the lodge, or should I go with the resort. On thing I have considered is heating the bigger shack, will one big buddy heater keep up in the bigger shack?

Ansen Dulas

How many holes are you thinking of drilling, if you are fishing 4 people in the house?

MNdrifter

I had a resort flip over. Sold it and bought a resort Hub. The hub is huge, definitely would be big enough for all four of you. Possibly all 6 of you if you get creative. Lol. But I miss my flip over resort. I did have all 4 of us in it, only 3 were fishing one hole at a time. I was too busy taking fish off and rebating hooks. They each sat on the seats in the sled, while I sat on a bucket facing them. This is where the new X over would shine! I had the 1200 denier fabric, so a fart would warm that sucker up, but my little buddy heater did fine in the coldest of days I’m willing to fish. I will get another resort flip over someday. If James and crew is reading this, I’d like dibs when you get rid of this years houses for new ones next year!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I find it very cramped with me, wife and 6yo in a lodge. Go sit in some display models with your fam would be a good place to start. Grab a few things off the ahelf like heater and buckets, i think you will get the best results “trying” before you buy.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Well… that settles it… the lodge is on order from my local bait shop. Should be here in a couple weeks, he said it should ship to him on the 10th or 11th.

Paul Delaney

The important question here is are you looking for a flip over shelter or a hub style house? You definitely will have much more fishing area in the hub style houses vs the flip over houses. The lodge hub gives you 64 sq ft of fishing area the resort hub gives you 101.5 sq ft. The lodge flip over house gives you 30 sq ft of fishing area and the resort flip over house gives you 35 sq ft. Obviously by choosing a flip style house you would be able to store equipment inside and tow behind a snowmobile or ATV.

jarrod holbrook

It really comes down to how you travel… I have a cheap eskimo pop up 949 non insulated…. It is what we take when on foot. The flip overs are the Cadillac and I have an otter cabin full insulated. The downside is you need two guys and a machine to pull it. One fits in the truck, the other requires the enclosed trailer and all the trimmings. Pop ups require seating, flip overs have seats. Sleds are another concern. The flip over has it’s own, the pop up needs to either be carried as a back pack or takes up sled space. If you go flip over and machine you need a cover to keep the slush and snow out of the shanty. I guess the best advice is to go to a local outfitter and look at both. We use both shelters every year. Fully insulated is worth the $$$$. I don’t need a heater in the Otter, I need a buddy heater in the eskimo.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I would go with a hub if I were you. Pair it will a big otter sled and you are good to go

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have ordered a lodge hub. I have a 2 man flip clam, yukon and a clam 6800 with the trap link system. I decided with an otter hub it will cut set up time way down. I also have a snowmobile and am planning on building a cargo sled to pull all the gear out on the ice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.