Otter lodge heating?

• JAnderson

Just picked up an Otter Lodge XT650. I have a regular red buddy heater. Will that be enough or should I get the big buddy for it?

Thanks for your input!

Crappy Fisherman

It depends on how you dress and how warm you want to be. The XT and XT Pro have the same insulation. The difference is the thickness of the canvas. They are both warm. I have the XT Pro lodge and use the same heater you do. With my wife and myself it’s plenty warm on low most of the time. We both wear Stryker Preditor suits and end up removing the coats if it’s above 0.

mazak500
    South West Michigan

I had the thermal top lodge and all I ever used was the regular budddy heater. i wear just a normal base layer and the Striker predator suit. I always take jacket off in shanty and just have a hoody on. You will be fine with the regular heater unless you want to fish in 90°’s with the big buddy. Just pack the bottom of shanty in good and you will be fine.

Charles

I have the old 900 series that damn thing with a little buddy on a 15 degree day can hit 60. Love the otter!

JAnderson

Thanks for the responses. That’s what I’m looking for. I don’t need it hot. Just bearable.

Charles

Yeah you be fine.

Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

I have the 650 cabin and a regular Buddy heater and I’ve stayed plenty warm as low as -10 with wind… Never tried colder than that. Good boots help though, I’m sure.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Agreed – I had the XT900 Cabin and XT1200 and my Big Buddy was total overkill. Brother in law and I were in jeans and sweatshirts in -35. No lie.

holmsvc
    SE ND

Buy the big buddy, you can always run it on low. If you need more heat you will have it. The size difference isn’t that much.

shady5

I have an XT Pro Lodge and a Big Buddy heater. I don’t believe I’ve ever had it running both burners.

JAnderson

Buy the big buddy, you can always run it on low. If you need more heat you will have it. The size difference isn’t that much.

If I was just buying one I’d buy the big buddy. However, I am trying to avoid selling the regular and buy the big buddy and going through all that hassle if I’ll be fine with the regular.

holmsvc
    SE ND

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>holmsvc wrote:</div>

If I was just buying one I’d buy the big buddy. However, I am trying to avoid selling the regular and buy the big buddy and going through all that hassle if I’ll be fine with the regular.

You will be fine most days with just the buddy heater.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have a regular cabin and this past weekend up north -14 my heater cooker could not keep the holes from freezing

Kfactor

I like the big buddy I was out this weekend in – 37 with wind and the big buddy kept me toasty warm . I have the otter 1200 xt pro lodge

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.