Otter Hyfax runners not so good

• benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Just a rant
    I had to replace my hyfax runners on my Otter Resort. I have noticed from day one when I installed them and just pulled my lodge like 3 feet on my drive way the hyfax would leave blue plastic trail pieces on the drive way. I have a newer cement drive way so it is not like my drive way is rough. Installing them new is a PITA. Having to install them again with every thing else installed is much worse.

I generally try to be respectful of my equipment but had a bad feeling since day one with their hyfax. Im gonna give them one more chance but the new ones dont appear any different then the originals. If I have to do this again I will have to come up with better material or maybe a scmitty style skis.

Previously I owned a Clam Yukon with their hyfax and they held up for like 10 years until I sold it for the smarter, tougher solution.

Any way I like the house for its room and warmth a bit harder to set up than the lighter weight Clam. But there has to be a better solution for Hyfax. Im guessing I would have to get better material, cut and drill. Any ideas of what material I should use please chime in.

Thanks
    Bob
    Thanks I feel better now that I got that out!

castle-rock-clown

I buy the cheap red kids snowboards from Menards. The sled will glide much easier too. I mount them on the outside edges.

Charles

I buy the cheap red kids snowboards from Menards. The sled will glide much easier too. I mount them on the outside edges.

Actually a good idea lol.

curleytail

How old are they and how much use do they have?

Mine leave a light blue trail over gravel or blacktop too but I always figure I’d rather see that than the sled material. I fish a lot and must be going on about 4 or 5 years with the hyfax on my Cabin. It’s thinner but still has at least a year or two left in it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Just a rant
    I had to replace my hyfax runners on my Otter Resort. I have noticed from day one when I installed them and just pulled my lodge like 3 feet on my drive way the hyfax would leave blue plastic trail pieces on the drive way. I have a newer cement drive way so it is not like my drive way is rough. Installing them new is a PITA. Having to install them again with every thing else installed is much worse.

I generally try to be respectful of my equipment but had a bad feeling since day one with their hyfax. Im gonna give them one more chance but the new ones dont appear any different then the originals. If I have to do this again I will have to come up with better material or maybe a scmitty style skis.

Previously I owned a Clam Yukon with their hyfax and they held up for like 10 years until I sold it for the smarter, tougher solution.

Any way I like the house for its room and warmth a bit harder to set up than the lighter weight Clam. But there has to be a better solution for Hyfax. Im guessing I would have to get better material, cut and drill. Any ideas of what material I should use please chime in.

Thanks
    Bob
    Thanks I feel better now that I got that out!

That’s normal. Assuming you’re not going to drag your otter down miles of paved roads day after day you’ll never wear those runners out from normal on Ice usage and the occasional slide across your concrete driveway.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

How much are those?

castle-rock-clown

Haven’t had to buy for a couple years, but after christmas clearance price if I remember correctly was $8 a piece.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I used an old set of skis. They can be close to free if you find them at garage sales in the summer.

Ivan Knapp

I bought some 4 inch wide teflon from a place that sells plastic. I was going to cut it down but I left it 4 inches wide. The thing willl run over you if you let and it wears like iron. I have went over gravel and blacktop with very few wear. If you get lucky they may have some cutoffs which mine wasand they sold to to me for 4 bucks for a chunck 6 foot long

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.