Otter Hideout or Clam Legend XL One Man

• gonehunting

I know I’ve come to a website that is highly supported by Otter consumers. I am proud to say I own an Otter XT Pro X-over Lodge. I am looking to buy a lightweight one man shelter and have narrowed it down to the Otter XT Hideout and the Clam Legend XL. Please give me your opinions on which way you lean when comparing quality, fishability, tub design, longer rod use (34-36″) etc. I want it to be a one time purchase. I appreciate any ideas.

Deuces

Haven’t ya heard the news it’s all about Eskimo now!!!

Honestly there’s alot of happy consumers of all types out there. The eskimo wide one is highly regarded by many, for my needs I really enjoy my evo1.

The hideout is tight quarters, clam xl have to deal with Clam quality.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I had the Hideout, gave it to my son for a very good price, and now have the Legend XL.
    For me, I’m very happy and so is he. More room for me in the Legend Xl and 34″-36″ rods are no problem. Like others have said, the Hideout is a tight fit and for me, 34″-36″ rods would be too long in the Hideout. Yes the tub on the clam isn’t what the Otter is but I put Hyfax runners on it so I’m not too worried. Yes Clam doesn’t have the square tubing that the Otter has (wish it did) but just means I have to be more careful and pay closer attention when traveling or setting up/breaking down.

vinella

Not sure where you’re located gonehunting, but I have a brand new still in the box Legend XL Cabela’s Ice Team Edition. I’m in Eau Claire, WI. $425

gonehunting

Vinella – sent PM

Appreciate all comments. Keep them coming.

Doug M
    SE SD

The eskimo wide one is highly regarded by many

Eskimo wide 1 gets my vote.

Spencer Haugen

I love my legend xl if I play my cards right I can easily fish and move around in it with out stepping in the hole

Andy Fischer

Bought a Hideout this fall- previously had a Clam Scout XLTC. I love the Otter because it’s durable when loading/unloading off my truck. I don’t have a 4-wheeler, so I pull by hand quite a bit as well. It’s lightweight and I like that the seat can be removed and then it fits under my truck cover. I always fish 2 holes and there is enough room for those, a Buddy heater, flasher, minnow bucket, and a 5 gallon pail all in front of me. I am a smaller guy, but I think it’s roomy. I wanted a true flipover since I chase crappies around. Before I purchased, I was deciding between the Legend XL and the Hideout. My $0.02.

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I’ve owned both and it really depends on the application/style of fishing you plan to do… if you run and gun go Otter if you still fish go Legend…
    I preferred the Legend for its weight, very light easy in and out of the truck…
    I currently fish out of a Cabin X-over but will most likely get the Jason Mitchell version of the Legend if I can find one.. and as Babe said “Good Fishin!”

Deuces

If you want lil more room check out the Evo single man. Tons of room, very easy setup

Bluegill89

I like my Legend XL. I really like the gray sled. I usually bring more than needed so I had to get the bigger one man.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Contrary to some other reports, I use a 36″ Perch Sweetheart and 38″ Commander in my Hideout with no issues. It’s enormous, front to back. Best one-man I’ve ever seen or owned. Excellent stability in the wind. I screwed some downhill skis to the bottom of mine using a counter-sink bit. I also have a mounted Buddy heater in the back corner and have never burned anything because there’s plenty of room behind the seat.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Legend XL gets my vote. I own the legend but have fished out of the hideout. I like the width and the accessories of the legend much more.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.