2010 ice has started

• TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Had ice on the lake this morning. Most of it is gone now from the wind and waves today but it felt good to see the ice finally arrive. Here’s some pics.

deertracker

If the wind would let up I think there is a certain northern bay south of Alec that could handle some foot traffic by next weekend.
    DT

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Looks like your not far from Buck Point.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

You are correct sir. Oops, sorry that’s your dad. Most of the ice melted away the last couple of days. I hope it stays gone until after this next snow storm. Don’t want to have a couple inches of ice with a punch of snow on top of it. Would not be good for the ice.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Looks like the lake locked up last night. People out on Manthey’s Bay today.

callaway

Can you tell how schultz bay looks? Thanks in advance.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Quote:

Can you tell how schultz bay looks? Thanks in advance.

Sure can since it is right out my back door. Iced over good but today may have softened it up a little. Had some puddles on the surface from the warm temperature and the wind that melted some of the snow that was on the surface closer to shore. If we don’t get any rain tomorrow or too much snow tomorrow night I may be giving it a try Tuesday or Wednesday.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Ice is looking bad. Had a little rain, then a rain/slushy kind of mix, and now snow. Can see water on the ice in some areas. Tried walking out a ways this afternoon but the ice started sagging so I didn’t get far. I don’t think the temperature got below freezing last night. Had 37 degrees at 7:30 this morning.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Same deal down here in the metro except it rained most of the day and it is still 38 degrees out at 10:45P. Hopefully nobody pushes their luck with the ice until we’ve had some deep freeze temps to heal everything back up.

callaway

retired hopefully the ice conditions are improving some. Is their any chance people are getting out. Thinking on giving it a try this weekend or early in the week.Thanks in advanced.

deertracker

People are getting out on a few local lakes. I think the high winds helped us as they kept most of the snow off the ice on the bigger lakes. I do know that Carlos is still wide open. There are small houses on the north bay of Reno and people have been walking out on Minnewaska and a few of the Alec lakes.
    DT

callaway

How is the ice looking now? thanks in advanced

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

I haven’t been on the ice for the last couple days. Getting covered with snow right now. People have been walking out on Manthey’s Bay and a few have been going out from the access on Battle Point. There is one small house, looks like a small spear house on the north end of Schultz’s Bay. Must have been put out there this afternoon. I was gone most of the day and got back a little before dark and noticed it out there.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Callaway,

Latest update. Went out onto Schultz’s Bay today with the one man. Ice near shore is about 6 inches with some slush and snow on top. After about 100 feet you lose the slush and just have about 5 inches of snow. There is about 8 – 9 inches after you get out past the rushes because this ice formed later and wasn’t covered by the initial snow that we had so it had time to thicken up before this last snow. Lot of 12 inch perch biting but no walleyes. Have seen a few atv’s out on the ice. There are a couple of ice heaves out there so be careful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.