Osakis Ice update

• TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Drove around the lake this morning. The lake is almost completely iced over. The area between a little west of Caughren Point(roughly by the creek inlet) to Lindberg Point to Coon Point was still pretty much open in the middle. If the wind stays down I think it may finish icing over by tomorrow. Didn’t see any one venturing out yet.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

The ice doesn’t seem to be forming as fast as I expected. The area in front of me from shore out about 200 feet to the outside of the bulrushes froze over Tuesday night and then the rest of the lake capped over Thursday night except for the area in front of Holiday Resort was still open. I thought maybe I could at least get to the end of the rushes since that has been frozen since Tuesday night. Got about 40 feet out and the ice started to crack under my weight. Knocked a hole with the spud par and only measured two and a half inches of ice. Guess I’ll wait.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Retired, So how is the fishing out that way? Have you been out on the ice yet?

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

I was out a few times right after Turkey day. Had 5 inches of ice for about 300 to 400 feet out then got thinner from there. Fishing was slow with clear ice and clear water. I could see everything below me right through the ice so I’m sure the fish could see everything above them. Haven’t been out lately because of all the snow we have had. I haven’t sprung for an ATV yet and it’s hard pulling a FT Voyager through the snow by hand. Might have to throw it in the back of the truck now as most people are driving out.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I fished a couple walleye tournaments on Osakis in the summer back in the 90’s. When we would fish leeches near the reeds we would run into some seriously HUGE bluegills. Does the lake still produce the big gills and do you get them through the ice?

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Yep, their still around. The ones you have to lip to unhook because they are to big to grab with your hand. Not in the numbers that there used to be according to the old timers but they are making a comeback. I don’t specifically target bluegills in the winter. I have caught some good size ones during hardwater but not the giant ones.

juan_arellano
    wright county - mille lacs

so how is the bite going now? are the laying the smack down on the bait or just liping it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Yep, their still around. The ones you have to lip to unhook because they are to big to grab with your hand. Not in the numbers that there used to be according to the old timers but they are making a comeback. I don’t specifically target bluegills in the winter. I have caught some good size ones during hardwater but not the giant ones.

I can’t say we ever caught any of the true giants either but the average size of the fish we would catch was always impressive. When we were there some of the locals were out fishing the open water with short ice rods off the sides of their boats… at first I thought it was a little hokie but when they started to hand over fist the panfish I changed my tune. Apparently they were able to make a much more subtle presentation than a guy could make with the longer rods… and the bluegills didn’t mind the boat overhead at all from the looks of things.

patty
    Alexandria, MN

There are still some very nice gills and crappies being produced. I was ice fishing out there last year and i caught a 1.1 LB gill and a 1.9 Lb crappie in one day.
    James is right tho, i walleye fish there alot because i live in Alexandria and work at Christophersons BAit shop in alex. The walleyes run basically in the pencil weeds. Anywhere from 7-10 fow.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I also caught some of the biggest bullheads I’ve ever seen in my life on Osakis. Can’t say I cared too much for them though.

patty
    Alexandria, MN

haha no kidding, i think there was a record bullhead caught out there a few years back

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

alex p

If you have any updates for us on the bite near Alexandria… don’t be shy about putting them up in the Alex Area forum. Things have been quiet in that forum so anything you’re willing to share would be appreciated.

patty
    Alexandria, MN

No problem james I will definetly post some of the bites that ive ran into and heard of.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That sounds great. And you’ll be surprised at the number of people that will come out the woodwork that fish that area once some information starts to flow.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Quote:

haha no kidding, i think there was a record bullhead caught out there a few years back

Osakis has the state record for yellow bullhead that was caught in 2002 I believe. That beat the previous state record that was also caught in Osakis. Osakis also is in a tie for the state record rock bass. I myself really prefer not to catch bullheads, state record or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.