osakis

• annmarie
    Des Moines, IA

thinking of going here the first part of Sept. Have never fished it before. Any suggestions as far as technique, resorts to stay at etc. would be greatly appreciated.

VikeFan

I’ve been fishing Osakis for over twenty-five years, although only once in September, so my advice for that particular time of year is limited. Osakis has a LOT of Northern that are usually easy to catch pretty much anywhere, although their overall size leaves something to be desired. It is also a very good walleye lake: during the summer months crankbaits and jigs have their moments, but live bait fished on slip-bobber rigs or trolled is the way to go most of the time for ‘eyes. The lake has a lot of structure, so for walleye look on the deep weed edges (about 18’) off those bars and reefs.

As a family we stay for a week at Idlewilde, which is on the edge of town, and a very nice resort. I have camped over weekends at Linwood, which is also on the south end of the lake near town, and they are a good place as well.

annmarie
    Des Moines, IA

Thanks, I appreciate your help and will let you know how we do.

zoomer
    Twin Cities

I stayed at a place maybe 10 years ago I think it was called buck’s point nice enough place. It was on the north end on a sheltered bay. Caught some nice crappies right off the dock. The dock had a drop off of 15 feet or so. The kids had a good time. Also stayed at a place on the south east side years ago did not like that in that they were on one side of the road and the lake was on the other with a steep drop off. Had to climb lots of steps to get to the lake and do not remember a swim beach. Great panfish lake if I remember right lots of reeds to fish.
    good luck
    Zoomer

annmarie
    Des Moines, IA

looks like most of the resorts are on the north end.

annmarie
    Des Moines, IA

booked the trip today Sept 18-21. Hope the weather cools down and the walleyes are hungry.

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

I’m thinking about going here in late may or early june. how is the fishin that time of year?? looking to stay at the lakeshore resort

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.