Osakis,, Were are the walleye

• aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Ok , So I am coming up to Osakis for the week on Saturday and have heard that the walleye’s are not cooperating and are hard to find. Where do you all think would be a good place to start? Deep? Weeds? Deep weed? There isn’t a lot of structure on this lake that I recall except for the weed beds. the crappie and gills seem to be hot right now . Why are the toothy critters so closed mouth? Any ideas would be helpfull

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Osakis is full of walleyes, this time of year they seem to go into a funk like you mentioned, but as temps fall they need to feed. I would try trolling at night in some shallow water like less than 10 feet all they way into 4 feet, using either stick baits like Husky Jerks or shad raps. Look for dying weeds. During the day I would try along deep structure in the 25-30 foot area OR adjacent to where you are catching all the panfish. I know guys who are catching panfish are catching a few walleyes right with them. Only 1 or 2 walleyes, but they are feeding on smaller YOY crappie or sunfish. When fishing deep I know that Osakis walleyes love big minnows like redtails or creek chubs. The lake is full of structure, north end has humps and the south end also has many humps as well.

Good Luck

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

I’ll go along with what Calvin said. Also try around Coon Point and the rock pile off of Moon Bar. Wednesday they didn’t seem interested in the minnows so switched back to leeches and had good numbers but unfortunately all were in that 14-15 inch range.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Thanks gentlemen . I will let you know how it works out

Chris H

Aleb did you have any luck? I am heading up to Otter Tail for a few days and was thinking about giving Osakis a try. Just want to know if it is worth the drive or not.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Well Chris H there was only 1 legal walleye brought into camp the 4 days we were there. But I tell you what, the crappies were very active. All of ours came trolling for the walleye’s. Could hardly keep them off the hook, Minnows were the best. We only kept the 12″ and over most around 14″. We did not try leaches as Tim suggested, and around Coon point more crappies The best spot was the point just before you enter the east bay going towards Head of The Lake and to the west in 33 feet and on the bottom . move around and spot the active fish. Or watch the Gulls and the loon work an area this sure stirs the fish up. good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.