Oregon lawnmower blades

• 3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I have a 46 inch cub riding lawnmower and this is my first experience with Oregon blades. These things way at least once in a half what the original cub ones do, has anybody ever used them? In some respects I would say heavier is better but in this case I’m not sure. These things are also probably once and a half the thickness of the original cub ones. This is either an incredible value at hardly more than half the price of cub blades or they might not work. Which is it? I trust Oregon just by the quality of their chainsaw products but this is my first go around with her lawnmower blades.

duh queen

It’s all about physics. The heavier blades will take a bit more time to come up to speed, but that said, the increase in mass will carry more momentum as they cut through the grass. Thus, they won’t slow down quite as quickly when you hit heavy, wet grass.
    A down side might be if you have electric clutches driving the blades. They’ll be subject to more wear in starting up.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

It’s all about physics. The heavier blades will take a bit more time to come up to speed

Not only that but it will take more energy (gasoline) to keep the added weight spinning. If your engine does not have the extra HP, the heavier blades may never reach the intended rotational speed. Slower rotational blade speed, will in turn slow down the rate (forward speed), at which you can mow.

If your engine has enough hp to spin the added weight, then the only thing it is costing you is more gasoline to spin more weight.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I have a twin Kawasaki, 24 hp I think.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

If you have a 24 horse and a 46 inch deck there is plenty of power to spin them… the issue will be in the electric clutch. ALWAYS idle down to engage and disengage. That will help, but it will not prevent premature failure of the clutch. If you are handy enough to change the clutch yourself, It will be worth it to run the heavier blade if you are cutting tall wet grass, or woody stem weeds and such. If you have a nice yard, that gets cut regular, go with the lighter weight blade. Remember, the thickness of the steel the bade is made from will not keep it sharper longer. The leading edge is what makes the grass cut smooth and clean, and those all should be sharpened to sharp edge.

Fred Garvin

I just replaced 3 blades on a John Deere 7 Iron Pro 72 deck with Oregon blades
    These blades are heavy and have the same dimensions and thickness as the John Deere OEM blades.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.