Optima Blue Top specific question

• stevenoak

I’m on my second set of Optima B.T. batteries. Bought my first set about 1990. They were still going strong when my buddy sold the boat 13 years later. My current set were installed in 2011 and are still going strong. Near as I can figure the second set was after manufacturing went to Mexico. I wouldn’t consider replacing yet. But have been leery the last couple years going to Rainy Lake with 10+ year old batteries. Being 66 years old if I could have similar luck with one more set. They can probably spread my ashes with them in the boat. Weight is of no consideration. Best lithium still seems up in the air. For $1,000.00 I can but 2 Blue Tops, a new lithium for my Kayak and use the chargers I have. Have heard a few bad experiences on Optima since they went to Mexico. Looking to hear what luck people have had the last 10 years with them. I’m a firm believer in on board chargers. My crank battery was a basic Interstate also installed in 2011. Think I will replace it as I’m too old to row.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I bought a new Optima BT as my starting/deep cycle 2 years ago for my Alumacraft. I, like you, have gotten ridiculously long life from all the ones I’ve owned. If fact, my Optima for my pontoon at the cabin is on it’s 13th year. Every spring it takes and holds a charge all summer.
    I wouldn’t be afraid of buying another.

Matt Swanson

Nice to hear that others have had good luck with these batteries. I bought two Optima D31M’s in 2020 for my 24V Terrova. They have been great so far. I just fished two full days on Winnie with no access to overnight charging at the campsite. The batteries were running strong at the end of the 2nd day, and we used the trolling motor a lot. When I’m not camping I use a Minn Kota Precision charger.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.