Opener Destinations

• Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Where is everyone going for this years Opener? For the last few years I have been at my Fiance’s family cabin on Vermilion but this year I will be heading to a new location – Woman Lake – to celebrate the opener with a bunch of good friends!

404 ERROR
    MN

Traditionally I just go to P4, as I try to avoid crowds. I know, I’m boring…This year we decided to take the weekend off and go 4-wheeling in Nemadji State Forest instead. Should be a good weekend no matter what everyone decides to do outside!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good luck on Woman Mitch, it’s a great fishery. Fish tactics reminds me of Leech quite a bit.

I’m sure your friends know but for gas, bait, whatever you can cruise through the channel to Little Girl which will put ya right in Longville. Stop for ice cream, beer and burger, then back to woman for fishing it’s pretty sweet! toast

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Mille Lacs! Leaving tonight and beating the traffic. woot

Good luck everyone. toast

-J.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

No where… being that I didn’t grow up in Minnesota, I guess opener doesn’t mean as much to me. I’ve made a few pool 4 trips this spring and caught a decent amount of walleye on all but one of them.

Jealous of you going to Woman Lake, my grandparents have had a cabin on the lake for my entire life- all of my favorite childhood memories are on that lake. They just headed back up there this week to open up the cabin for the summer. I wanted to head up there, but I got the “it’s my first Mothers Day and your leaving me?” guilt trip at home…

Kyhl
    Savage

-J.

I’ll be 18 hours behind you. After a “short” morning detour down to Faribault, and a planned stop at Roger’s Cabelas, I should be pulling the boat through Happy’s drive through about 1pm tomorrow. )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

URL

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I was in Longville for the annual bike ride last weekend and then went to my buddies new place on Woman. We went and leisurely fished for Crappies from his pontoon (while being overserved) we did ok, enough for a fish fry but we also got a few walleyes mixed in. Great lake and should be a great opener.

The FW is having knee surgery on Monday so I’ll be home this weekend but will be heading to the cabin next Wednesday. Plan on fishing Leech on Thursday and then some smaller lakes around Park Rapids.

Can’t wait!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

-J.

I bet I get ahead of you, I am leaving today at 2:30 toast

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The great debate is on right now, but looking like we are heading to Leech. My folks live at the cabin in Nevis, so it is always a struggle to pick a lake as there are just too many to choose from! Might try and pick a few crappies off of @BelleTaine’s dock Sunday before leaving… jester

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Leech…There’s no fish in there so nobody bother going…

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Saturday is taking the FW to Byrn’s Greenhouse up in Zim for the annual flower/plant shopping, followed by her favorite dinner and a big fire in the backyard with some adult beverages.

Sunday I’ve got a free pass til 2pm, so hoping the east wind stays down and I can get out on Superior to troll for some salmon. If its too wavy on the Gitch, I will head to a small local lake before the crack of dawn for a few hours. I usually leave the walleyes alone for a week, just so I dont have to deal with the opening weekend madness at the landings on the St Louis river and reservoirs around Duluth.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Where is everyone going for this years Opener? For the last few years I have been at my Fiance’s family cabin on Vermilion but this year I will be heading to a new location – Woman Lake – to celebrate the opener with a bunch of good friends!

Rainy River. See if we can’t get the boy to tie into a big bottom feeder on friday. And then some nice walleye on Saturday.

catnip
    south metro

To the local public launch to watch the sh!t show.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Croix now that everyone is heading out of town…#HAMROOM!!!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ll be on Pool 5. Pool 4 is 1.5 miles from my driveway, but there’s some random bass tournament on the lower end for a second straight weekend. It sure gets annoying watching bass boats tear around and cut in on your drifts/trolling runs to chuck baits at a point for 3 minutes, then run ahead of other boats to the next spot. I’ve learned to avoid it at all costs.

My absolute favorite is when a fleet of them anchors or “power poles” in random spots in the middle of area marinas while they get dropped at shore to watch weigh-ins or just to catch up with fellow bassers. Last weekend both of the area marinas were a mine-field of these empty boats parked everywhere.

I take my trips outside of the area during the week on vacation time – definitely not on opening weekend.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Leech…There’s no fish in there so nobody bother going…

This is true, all of the reports you are hearing are false. Just stay home. whistling

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The great debate is on right now, but looking like we are heading to Leech. My folks live at the cabin in Nevis, so it is always a struggle to pick a lake as there are just too many to choose from! Might try and pick a few <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappies off of @BelleTaine’s dock Sunday before leaving… jester

actually, it’s probably getting close. Have at it!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Ill be out on the extravagant forest lake hopefully fishing some large mouth bass for the early C&R season woot

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

This year is our groups 44th year at Leech Lake. In 2011 Ron Schara had a fishing opener traditions contest and we had to submit a 300 word essay about our fishing opener. We ended up winning and MN Bound sent a film crew to film us. An interesting side note, one of our guys that organized this was killed in 2012 at work by a deranged employee at the Accent Sign shooting in Minneapolis. The video is a lasting tribute to our dearly missed friend, Ron Edberg. Here is the segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Dc0f-XdWk&t=44s

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Great tradition Dave!
    Here’s to many more! toast

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

This year is our groups 44th year at Leech Lake. In 2011 Ron Schara had a fishing opener traditions contest and we had to submit a 300 word essay about our fishing opener. We ended up winning and MN Bound sent a film crew to film us. An interesting side note, one of our guys that organized this was killed in 2012 at work by a deranged employee at the Accent Sign shooting in Minneapolis. The video is a lasting tribute to our dearly missed friend, Ron Edberg. Here is the segment.

David thanks for sharing. This is exactly why I go to opener every year. I’m 33 this year and I haven’t missed an opener in 26 years at little boy lake. It started out just my dad and brother tenting it in the rain and snow. Now 27 years later it’s usually 7 of us in a rented cabin at the same resort. Furthest coming from Omaha Nebraska. We have seen 3 different resort owners in that time. Fishing is never guaranteed but fun and laughter is. That is probably why I’m sitting in bed unable to sleep awaiting a 6am departure time to hit the road in anticipation for new memories and fishing/camp fire stories. Good luck to all and don’t let fishing overwhelm you this weekend, enjoy the time with family and friends, create new memories and stories that will be told year after year.

walleyeguy000
    Rochester, MN

Leech lake. I get to take some veterans out fishing for the wounded warriors project!! First time on leech. Hoping I can put them on fish!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

URL

My to. Just look over your shoulder Ill be there.

fishdale

Good luck to those going out. No fishing for me. Daughters College graduation. yay

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.