Open water vex

• Dink buster

Looking to get a flat bottom boat for our little river. Was wondering if many people mounted their vexilars or similar units in a boat and or how you did it. Have a hummingbird h5 on my lund and I know it’s not the best unit there is but a lot of times I wish I had my vex instead

Dave maze
    Isanti

Use the same setup as you would ice fishing. You can throw the ducer over the side. Or get the transom mounted ducer and plug it in when you use it.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

What I’ve done is take a clear flat bottom container and put some water in it and then put your ice ducer in that. You will have to turn your gain up to read thru the hull but it does work at slower speeds, it will not work cruising across the lake though.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

They sell open water transducer kits for less than a $100.
    Your ice setup will work, but not well if you’re moving.

catmando
    wis

I have a 12 on the Jon boat. An 18 and an 8 on the tournament pro. plus others, UFFDA.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Never mind. I miss read the title. doah

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Before I had my boat I put my flasher on the front of my canoe, it worked out alright, it was just a bit tricky to keep marking.

robby
    Quad Cities

I used mine in a small flat bottom. It worked pretty well. Ive always thought about using it in open water when verticle jigging walleyes or pannies. Only tried it once, below a dam on the Mississippi, current washed the jig down stream a bit and between that and boat control didnt work out well. In slack water still an idea.

BDR

Many years in rainy river I used small aluminum boat. Found I could set my FL-8 transducer in the drain pan and shoot right thru.

tim hurley

Have an open water vex ducer probably give to you for a hot lake tip and a case of beer (would have to find it)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.