Ontario ice fishing / remote border crossing??

• stjoeguy

I’ve got a trip scheduled to Sunset Lodge on the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods in January. We signed up to fish MN one day for walleyes and on the Ontario side one day for crappies. This is a trip we’ve done for the past two years. The walleye fishing has been so-so but the crappie fishing has been very good in the past. I just noticed that Sunset’s website no longer mentions the MN/Ontario combo package that was there when I made the reservation in October, so I called Sunset to see what was going on. Samantha, the manager, is not there now since the resort is shut down between seasons, and the person I talked with was vague. The explanation varied between “crappie fishing has not been that good in the past” to “we’re not sure what Ontario is doing.” She assured me that Sam would get back to me in the next couple weeks and I shouldn’t worry about it, but since I organized the trip on the premise of the walleye/crappie combo I’d like to know what is going on. Is anyone aware of any changes for this ice fishing season regarding non-residents fishing in Ontario? Is this a remote border crossing issue?

maddogg

I think once your in Canada you must enter the USA at a customs station. I might be wrong.My friend tried to cross at night (station was closed) with a snowmobile and they (Customs) caught up with them the next day.

stjoeguy

Thanks. I’m familiar with remote border crossing at NW Angle. I was wondering if there was some change coming from the Ontario MNR. It might just be that Sunset Lodge is changing what they offer. They were the only outfitter on the angle that offered fishing including transportation to both the MN part of the lake and the Ontario part. I guess I’ll find out when they get back to me in a couple weeks.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

If you read the following, the remote area border crossing rules do not apply to snowmobiles. You must report to Canadian Customs. You’ll have to scroll down a ways to find that exception.
    Here’s the quote:

“The exceptions to the presentation and reporting of goods requirements are for persons on board marine vessels only, and do not apply to snowmobiles, hovercraft, or any other land-based conveyance arriving in Canada on frozen waterways. Persons on board a snowmobile or any other land-based conveyance are required to report to the CBSA, even if they do not touch land and stay on frozen Canadian waters.”

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-exceptions-eng.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.