One tip

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

If fishing shallow (5ft or less) use the smallest hole you can when panfishing. I have seen gills come into the edge of my view down the hole only to back out if there is too much light or maybe they cane see me staring down at them? lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If fishing shallow (5ft or less) use the smallest hole you can when panfishing. I have seen gills come into the edge of my view down the hole only to back out if there is too much light or maybe they cane see me staring down at them? lol

Slush your hole, don’t clean it out

LabDaddy1

One little tip, if you’re sightfishing inside a shack, clear snow in a decent sized area around the perimeter to let light penetrate and keep the inside dark as possible. Helps visibility a lot

picklerick
    Central WI

Don’t be stupid like me and put out tip ups out in -20 weather. We were snowed in for three days at Leech in 2020 and by the time 20″ of fresh snow was cleared enough to drive out the bottom fell out of the thermometer. My fingers hurt when it gets down to 45 now, so my ice fishing days are over.

Brittman

Fish the last two hours of the daylight …

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I would say ability to be mobile. Don’t always have to chase around the lake to catch them and sometimes sitting in a spot is best but… in the case you do need to move around a bunch being efficient and mobile is best. I think over time the number one thing I have noticed in my gear is it getting lighter and less of it. I love to tip up fish and use I fish Pro’s but they are the bulkiest thing I think I have in my arsenal… Staying warm is always a plus LOL.

tim hurley

Stay put, but chum
    no, you can’t do that so stay mobile.

acarroline

Use all lines allowed. Know the rules of the fishery and maximize your options while actively monitoring all the lines allowed.

alduit

Never stop trying different stuff no matter what

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

1. Stealth. Never underestimate how much noise the slightest moves on the ice make. I used to run and gun and drill hundreds of holes, but there are many applications where that work is for not and you’re wasting energy or driving fish away. I have a buddy who is a bit zealous and lacks patience that goes with me to URL in early December. He loves to say things like “I might drill out this break line” or “I’m going to punch a few holes” while I tell him “I’ll be right here working on this beer” and ultimately our results are at least the same, if not me having more opportunities without moving.

2. Get away from people. I’ve had way more fishing outings that were memorable with nobody nearby than fishing a community hole or “hot bite” as reported by someone.

LabDaddy1

100% Those are two really big ones, Bucky.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.