One man shack

• yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Does anybody have experience/opinions on the Eskimo evo 1 ice shak. I am 65 and as others have stated am looking to lighten my load.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Cant find the link, was a good thread on it month ago or so.

I’ve got one, what you want to know. I really like mine.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Weight wise I use a Shappell X100 37lbs and built well

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Not only weight but guality and`ease of set up.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quality is good, no problems so far with mine. Weight is light. Setup is easy IMO. No extending of poles, pop the top, pop the front, go inside and stick pole in back, done. I put the back of the shack into the wind so rarely I need to drill it down.

If someone could find that one thread that’d be awesome, and the other one with the shappel and all the weights invloved. Those were good threads.

red89
    Hudson

I’ll definitely be considering a Shappel in the future.

Check out these threads:

Link 1

Link

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Thanks for the links

Dan
    Southeast MN

Hope I’m not wrong here, but I think FF has that one on sale this week.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Hope I’m not wrong here, but I think FF has that one on sale this week.

$319 on sale…….I paid $200 total for my FX100

404 ERROR
    MN

I have a non-insulated Clam Kenai and it works well, but the canvas has been peeling since the first trip out. I always bring it home and dry it out immediately after each trip, so I’m surprised it happened, but it doesn’t hurt the function of the house. Clam would not cover it under warranty as they stated it was regular wear and tear. Other than that, I really like the house except for the fact the windows are stitched in and aren’t removable.

I have a Shappell Hub and have been very happy with it, even with the mixed reviews they’ve gotten. I would not hesitate to buy the FX100.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I bought one of them on sale units at Fleet Farm couple of days ago. I got it put together and out on the ice for a trial run. There definitely will be a learning curve as far as easily setting it up. Thanks for everyone’s help

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Are you the lone outdoorsman?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Once you figure out which corner to grab when it’s all piled into the sled its easy. Can spray paint just the corners different colors for quick reference if needed.

I pop top first then the front. Easier to reach top than if reversed.

The back pole always into the sled first, then onto the canvas bar.

Did you get the i (insulated top) version? Would love to hear a review of that as you put some use to er.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run a Frabill Commando as my 1 man rig. The entire thing probably weighs ~35lbs and has the built-in padded seat. At 0 degrees it stays plenty warm with just the Little Buddy heater that screws on 1# tanks. The best part about it is that there is no support bar or anything like others have referenced with some shacks. I run and gun with the entire thing from hole to hole. If I’m on fish or it is extremely cold, I flip it and fish. The entire process takes 4 seconds.

Anybody out there have the Otter XT Pro Cottage(1 man) shack? Just wondering pros n cons on this shack as a 1 man.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I run a Frabill Commando as my 1 man rig. The entire thing probably weighs ~35lbs and has the built-in padded seat. At 0 degrees it stays plenty warm with just the Little Buddy heater that screws on 1# tanks. The best part about it is that there is no support bar or anything like others have referenced with some shacks. I run and gun with the entire thing from hole to hole. If I’m on fish or it is extremely cold, I flip it and fish. The entire process takes 4 seconds.

I looked at one of these before a bought my Shappell and my research came up with 71lbs…..I did like the true flip design though…..

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

I looked at one of these before a bought my Shappell and my research came up with 71lbs…..I did like the true flip design though…..

Mine is probably 5+ years old and only has the padded seat, not the boat style. There’s no way it’s 50#. I could carry it on my back to my fishing spots. The biggest drawback is that if you were over about 6’1″ or love to use extremely long ice rods, you’d run into issues.

I’m guessing the figure you got is for a newer one with a boat style seat and probably a heavier canvass?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Anybody out there have the Otter XT Pro Cottage(1 man) shack? Just wondering pros n cons on this shack as a 1 man.

I love mine. if you do a search on this site for otter cottage you will pull up my thread from last year or 2 years ago where myself and others give a review

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’m guessing the figure you got is for a newer one with a boat style seat and probably a heavier canvass?

Yep….I bought mine 2 years ago…..
    Everywhere I looked had the Frabill @ 71lbs…….
    The Shappell was the lightest one I could find @ 37#…..

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I haven’t heard anything about the lone outdoorsman in years. Yes I am he.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Lol, I couldn’t believe I remembered it either

Tom Dace

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mudshark wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Mine is probably 5+ years old and only has the padded seat, not the boat style. There’s no way it’s 50#. I could carry it on my back to my fishing spots. The biggest drawback is that if you were over about 6’1″ or love to use extremely long ice rods, you’d run into issues.

I’m really intrigued by yours. I have a Commando as well and it’s about 5 years old. It has the boat seat and does weigh around 70ish pounds with the seat. The canvas is not heavy at all. I removed the seat and made my own set up for seating. Still nowhere near 35 pounds. I haven’t weighed the boat seat on it’s own but even that along with the mounting brackets for it doesn’t come up to 35 pounds of weight that can be cut out of the thing if it all was removed. I’d say the seat on it’s own is 15ish pounds. If you’d include the brackets that it sits on those would run another 5 or so. Doing the quick math here…70 pounds minus the 20 for the entire seat assembly (seat and square tube mounting brackets) leaves you at 50 pounds.

Were there other differences between these things from year to year that would account for the 15 pound difference in yours and mine? I have a hard time believing that a heavier canvas on this shack will add an extra 15 pounds over one with lighter canvas. Is the sled different? The only additional thing on mine is a set of hyfax bolted onto the sled.

Anyway…it is a nice one person shack and the price was right. I got it for free from a relative who uses longer rods for brown trout. I can definitely see how that would be a pain but if you are using shorter rods it’s a nice piece of equipment. The biggest benefit of the way it is designed is the door that zips open and shut. Without that I’d probably give the thing away to someone else.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Mine has a black canvass…with yellow and grey details/logo. It is not very tall at all. The seat is a flat, black pad. It has aluminum brackets that hold it in place (and do not weigh much). I pulled my buddies Clam Kenai the other day and lifted both into a truck. Without a doubt his was considerably heavier, as in close to double

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Ahhh just realized I made a mistake. No wonder mine was lighter. It’s a different model (and the seat brackets have been replaced with lighter aluminum).

My brother has the Commando. I have the Recon DLX (which is lighter and smaller).

Attachments:
    1. 6F6A0BD7-AD07-4446-A995-DDB6E8CA4AFB.png

2. 04CA4798-4832-4EF3-B819-D826666117E0.jpeg

3. 0917DB50-0142-490A-A7CB-BA67A1F45616.jpeg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.