One lucky guy on bad ice .

• Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Just got word of friend who was riding a 4 wheeler on Turtle Flambeau Flowage . It broke through in 4.5 feet of water . He was alone . Soaked to the bone he walked 1.5 miles back to his truck . When the ambulance showed his body temp was 90 degrees . He is okay . He cut his face mouth area . But is alive ! Thinking had it been any colder he would not have made it back to his truck . No fish is worth losing your life . IMO . He fishes hard and knows the flowage well , this time it got him .

CaptainMusky

Happy he made it out, but its a stark reminder that the ice this year is just not good.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Glad your buddy is ok Don. It is a good reminder, I think we are going to hear more of these stories as the season goes on.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

Geez Don…you’ve had a hell of a few days, first with your Buster and now your buddy! Glad it seems both are doing well considering the alternative. You should maybe analyze if you’re good luck or bad!!! (that’s meant in humor…)

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Geez Don…you’ve had a hell of a few days, first with your Buster and now your buddy! Glad it seems both are doing well considering the alternative. You should maybe analyze if you’re good luck or bad!!! (that’s meant in humor…)

LOL The buddy sometimes listens to no one ! His sister told him not to go . I think he will carefully weigh his choice the next time ? Probably not he is a fishing fool !

ekruger01

First things first, Glad hes ok. Thats a long trek when soaked and cold. Second, My friends give me crap for wearing a full face helmet on the Atv when in motion. Would have saved him from the cuts, and made sure he didnt end up soaked and concussed.

I really fear that these stories might become a thing in the next week or so. Be safe all!

KP
    Hudson, WI

My friends give me crap for wearing a full face helmet on the Atv when in motion.

I don’t get why people think they don’t need to wear a helmet while riding an ATV or Snowmobile. Even when I’m going out ice fishing I still put one on and mainly also because it keeps you warm.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t get why people think they don’t need to wear a helmet while riding an ATV or Snowmobile.

No different than not wearing a PFD or a motorcycle helmet. Because its not required. People don’t want to be told what to do, even if the data shows it might save your life.

“Watch your own bobber” is the term often used.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont know of anyone that rides a sled without a helmet due to the cold protection. Maybe kids in the yard? But I rarely wear one on ATV’s.

tswoboda

If I’m ice fishing and going less than a mile or so on snowmobile, I’m not putting a helmet on. I’ll throw ski goggles on if it’s cold.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Way too risky to be riding around on the ice right now. I hope he learns from this. Glad he got out and had medical care.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Yesterday he and a couple friends went out to try to retrieve it . He called on what it would cost, 2 to 3 thousand was quote . Think he was freaking out some they were able to extract it .Good thing it was in 4.5 ft of water and closer to the shoreline .

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

More news today looks like he drove over an ice ridge and coming down the back side is when it gave way .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.