one lake a day

• mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i think I will be spending a few days near Bemidji after the 4th of July. I am thinking about trying a new lake every day. So far my thoughts are Red, Winni, Leach maybe Cass and or Bemidji, what lakes would you try. I have never fished any of these lakes other then limited ice fishing on red at least 10 years ago.

I will be staying 40 miles west of Bemidji and making day trips out from there. Any and all help would be nice, and if there are other lakes please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Depending on where you’re going and for how long probably smarter to try to locate fish in one lake and fish them daily then try to hop different lakes everyday and try to learn how and where they are

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

But either way that sounds like a blast and I am very jealous my wife talked me into going to Wisconsin Dells over that time and I’m not that excited besides the lake cabin we have

munchy
    NULL

Sounds like fun but also a lot of driving and work. I’ve done the different lake different day thing in the past and it got to be like work. Never relaxing, always trying to learn a new lake and find fish. IMO I would make a nearby lake your go to lake and learn that, and one decent weather day make a trip to a larger lake.

Sounds like you’re going to be in the Fosston area? Never been there personally, but I’ve heard there are some decent lakes in the area.

djshannon
    Crosslake

Here is a list from a local guide that makes a good read.

HALL OF FAME GUIDE SHARES HIS 5 FAVORITE WALLEYE LAKES FOR OPENER

If you’re looking to maximize your catch and minimize the crowds during Minnesota walleye opener this weekend, National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame guide Tom Neustrom just shared his top 5 recommendations for “overlooked” fishing lakes in Minnesota.

While legendary lakes such as Vermilion, Gull, Mille Lacs, and Upper or Lower Whitefish are often top of mind, Neustrom recommends some lesser traveled lakes for exceptional walleye, pike and panfish. Neustrom’s Top 5 fishing lakes in Northern Minnesota include:

1. Lake Winnibigoshish (aka Lake Winnie) near the headwaters of the Mississippi River
    Neustrom regards Winnie as one of the best places anywhere for walleye. He notes that connecting headwater lakes are also excellent for walleye, pike and panfish.

2. Bowstring Lake near Lake Winnie
    Another exceptional lake for all around fishing for a variety of species along with secluded resort options in the area.

3. Deer Lake north of Cohasset
    Neustrom credits Deer Lake’s extraordinary water clarity for multi-species fishing as well as other adventures, such as scuba diving.

4. Big Split Hand Lake north of Hill City
    If anglers crave great crappie and walleye, Tom says this tucked away lake provides excellent experiences for expert and novice anglers alike.

5. Pokegama Lake/Wendigo Arm Bay in Grand Rapids
    For those seeking an all-around experience, including great fishing (bass, pike, trout and others), water sports and family activities, Neustrom rounds out his top 5 list with this 6,000+ acre Minnesota gem.

“Itasca County has 1,007 lakes with healthy fish populations, exceptional wildlife management practices and easy boat access on many bodies of water. Smart anglers will travel a few extra miles for the exceptional fishing and the great amenities of Grand Rapids and surrounding communities,” Neustrom said. “Our area draws top national fishing tournaments, because we offer such diversified species. We’re No. 1 for walleye, but have abundant world-class bass, muskie and countless other species throughout the area’s lakes.”

Neustrom also credits the area with remote fishing opportunities on lakes near Bigfork and Effie.

“No need to go to Canada when you can fish on amazing lakes and sometimes avoid seeing other anglers all day long.” Neustrom said.

Good luck fishing!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.