Zorinsky lake 5/8/07

• SBEBDLLH

I had the opportunity to drive to the Omaha area from Kearney for the day. SANDS ie. Sportsman assisting nebraska disabled sportsman sponsored the second annual kids day for challenged youths for the Millard public school district. We arrived 45 minutes early and enjoyed fishing on our own for a few catching a few decent bluegills and crappies.

Once the kids arrived myself and dozens of other volunteers helped kids fishing from the beautiful large public walkway and gazebo on the south east end of the lake. Kids used bobber and minnows or worms to catch mostly crappie and some bluegills with a few bass and small walleye in the mix. Every kid that I know of caught at least one fish and most in the 2-7 fish range in their 45 minutes. 4 waves of kids came allowing the distinct pleasure of watching these kids catch in some cases their first ever fish. The fish were very helpful in this process allowing for big smiles all around.

With getting married in June myself money is as tight as I have ever known it, but the $65 dollars in gas it cost me to get out and back was worth every penny. More just for the smiles, high fives and laughter these kids had for the day and the feeling I got still carries with me.

A lovely local lake is there and I certainly will try to make a weekend next April to come out and have some fun in the “big” city and catch a boat load of crappies to boot.

Craig

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

And all of their troubles and struggles were gone, if even only for 45 minutes. Those kids are happier today than they were this time last week, you can bet. Great job Craig

Next time there is something like that in the area, make sure you make a post here on IDA and I am possitive that you will find a few more sportsmen that can make some time to help out the cause

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Craig, it sounds like you had a blast. What a great cause. I’m glad you made the trip. Like Zach said, let us know if something like this takes place again. I’d be all over something like that!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.