Old Style returns to the old brewery

• stevenoak

Saw Old Style is going to brew in the old La Crosse brewery again. My Gramps-fishing-drinking buddy died in 1996. I quit drinking the year after, {another story}. Old Style closed in 99. I somehow felt a little responsible. He and I did our part to keep them successful. Loved the Special Ex in town. Never the same 200 miles away due to long shelf life. Glad to see them go back. Maybe it’s time to have a beer.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Oh no there going to be another toilet paper shortage.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Steve back in my early drinking days my buddies and i kept them in buisness.I saw some a coupla weeks ago in a thirty pack and almost pulled the trigger.I’m waiting for the barrel bottles to come back.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Oh no there going to be another toilet paper shortage.

rotflol

I bet BK is happy to hear this. Hopefully the hipsters will move away from his Hamms.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hopefully the hipsters will move away from his Hamms.

It’s been quite ridiculous.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I bet BK is happy to hear this. Hopefully the hipsters will move away from his Hamms.

Didn’t know this was a thing. Hopefully they can all forget about bourbon soon so I can actually buy a bottle of Weller. Can we make a campaign to get them into wine coolers?

stevenoak

Old Style was a vast improvement from the Baumiester we drank in high school. $2.99 a case in returnable bottles. Funny thing. Cashiers were uncomfortable carding us when we had returnable bottles, they obviously sold us.: toast: We fished and camped La Crosse 3 weekends a month forever. “When in Rome”

dirtywater

Wait, people in WI actually drank Old Style? I thought it was all exported to Illinois so we could keep the drinkable stuff for ourselves in sconnie?

FIB juice is what my old man called it. Or Wrigley water.

ThunderLund78

Ha! Good ol’ Mold Style!!
    Brings me back to Freshman Year at Winona State – Fall of 1996. I followed some girl I barely knew to LaCrosse for Octoberfest. Wound up hanging out at a townie bar all day. Got blackout drunk and woke up the next morning in some strange bedroom in the basement of an older house. Ended up being her parents place (and yes, I was alone in the bed). Talk about an awkward walk up the stairs.

Are they gonna repaint the world’s largest 6 back and restore it to its former Old Style glory???

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Wait, people in WI actually drank Old Style? I thought it was all exported to Illinois so we could keep the drinkable stuff for ourselves in sconnie?

FIB juice is what my old man called it. Or Wrigley water.

My brother worked for Them in LaCrosse in the 80’s. Chicago was their primary market and stated 9 semi loads a day were shipped to there. I believe there are still Old Style signs at local bars there. I had business in the LaCrosse area and I would stop and see him before heading back to the cities, always an open tap of Old Style and Special Export in the lunch room, just go have a break and pour yourself on. Could you imagine that today. Actually the old brewery is still quite a modern facility.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Old Milwaukee was the nectar of the gods to the state of Ill.

picklerick
    Central WI

Where I grew up on the SW side of Chicago Old Style was a staple at all of our graduation, communion, confirmation parties. Always a 1/4 barrel or more of Old Style and sometimes Miller Lite. Uncle Donny would routinely stop in with a sixer of Old Style grenades while walking home from the bar. He knew all the best dirty jokes and limericks.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I was pretty sure EVERYONE in Western Wisconsin drank Old Style, back in the late 80’s… then they lost half their crowd when Spotted Cow came out in the early 90’s. toast waytogo

picklerick
    Central WI

At the campground we have our RV at in northern WI they still have an Old Style sign with their name on it by the main dock. I don’t even think they have it in the bar. Never saw anyone drinking it.

Attachments:
    1. joes-bar.png

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

One of the best tap beers ever!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.