Any Spawners Yet!!

• tritondoug
    Hudson, WI

Are the water temps up enough for Largemouth or Smaalies to be on beds Yet?? any bedding activity seen yet. East or West?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Not yet,usually mid-May.But the largemouth are starting to explore the shallows.There were some very nice baskets of fish brought in last Sunday for a bass tourney out of Alexandria,Mn.
    Ryan Hale

shayla

How can you have a tourney when the season is closed….just curious?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Because season isn’t closed on bass in Iowa.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

The club was out of Alex,Mn.Beings the season is closed in Mn,alot of clubs cone down to Iowa so they can get some early in the year fishing done.
    Ryan Hale

shayla

Sorry, you said a bass tourney out of Alexandria, Mn. and I took that to be where the tourney was held. My confusion, that’s all…….

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Our Bass here (115 miles north of Green Bay, Wi) in the U.P. are not on the beds until late May…usually June. This process takes a good month or more and it is not unusual to see Bass on beds well into July.
    The opener keeps getting pushed back and currently it opens May 27. Wi/Mi boundary waters are catch/release until Mid June…I wish Mich would do the same.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Smallies are looking into the shallows already i noticed…water temps for the largemouth are still too cold

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Both smallies and lm are in bedding areas or prespawn locations near spawning areas on pool 9… coaxed one today out of very shallow water and she being a smallie was ripe and loosing eggs… seems kind of early but with the high sun and shallow water??? Unfortunately my depthfinder was on the fritz this afternoon,( some turkey named Lawrence over stretched a wire and pulled some conducters out of the plug),so I didn’t get a temp. The largemouth really screamed today.. I think Ted saw me catch like 5 bass on consecutive casts and about 7 out of 10 in a row. Only one pig but a good number of keepers and ofcourse the mighty 9-13s got into the act . Smaller smallies are in all the prespawn locations in the current but some of the pre-spawn collecting areas had no keepers.. That bit anyway. 20 inch smallie caught yesterday seemed to be the exception in the current spots..

I should really mention that many of the largemouth were actually suspended off the structure at the height of the top of the structures they were near amazingly on the heavy flow side???

If you get anywhere near the Genoa Dam face right now the whirl pools, back swells and crisscross turbulence is amazing so be very careful… I often eat lunch on the fishing barge and pull in and tie up on the north side just below the dam and coming and going was very, very uncomfortable. Jerked back and forth real hard on the tiller handle both directions, and swirls nearly spun the boat.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Sorry guys I obviously thought I had hit Mississippi River link

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.