Iowa Great Lake/Zebra Mussels

• grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

ADDITIONAL ZEBRA MUSSELS FOUND IN IOWA GREAT LAKES RAISING FEARS OF POSSIBLE INFESTATION

Tue 12-18-2012
    (Spirit Lake)—DNR officials say the recent discovery of additional zebra mussels in the Iowa Great Lakes mean their worse fears may be about to come true.

The agency says three more juvenile zebra mussels were found attached to docks and hoists removed this fall from East Lake Okoboji. They say it’s increasing the likelihood that the invasive species may be establishing itself in the Iowa Great Lakes. But Mike Hawkins, a fisheries biologist with the DNR, says it’s still too early to tell if there is truly an infestation of the invasive species in the lakes…(click here for comment.) “Well, the evidence is starting to build. It looks like we’re headed that direction. Although the department is not going to declare there’s an infestation. We still haven’t found an adult zebra mussel yet, and we haven’t documented any beyond the larval form of the zebra mussel, so until that time we can still cross our fingers and hope that we don’t have a naturally reproducing population, but the evidence is starting to mount that we may have them.” Okay, and that begs the question what if anything can be done? “Really nothing. There’s a lot of folks doing a lot of research on zebra mussels and zebra mussel control. There are a few things that maybe will hold some promise in the future but at this point there really is nothing to do. Prevention is really the only tool when we’re talking about zebra mussels, so, yeah, it’s unfortunate but there is no solution.”

Zebra mussels are filter feeders that directly compete with native species for food. They adhere to hard objects, and if their population density is high enough, can clog intakes for drinking water utilities. DNR officials say that could impact their operations at the State Fish Hatchery in Orleans.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Where do the juvenile zebs come from….the immaculate conception? If you have the young, you’ve got Ma and Pop too. Maybe this is where Minnesota’s problem came from. lol

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Maybe I’m not hearing it right but isn’t even a few zebra mussels an infestation. Maybe they have to find a full sized adult and have it tested to make sure its really an infestation. I mean if thier in the lake thier in the lake.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sit back, take a breath and watch your waters clear up and aquatic weeds flourish. Once that happens the fish in your lake will take advantage of the extra cover and you’ll have better fishing.

The Zeb’s will peak in a few years and life will go on.

Am I pro Zeb? Nope. Just saying not every invasive is the end of the world.

gary d
    cordova,il

Quote:

Sit back, take a breath and watch your waters clear up and aquatic weeds flourish. Once that happens the fish in your lake will take advantage of the extra cover and you’ll have better fishing.

The Zeb’s will peak in a few years and life will go on.

Am I pro Zeb? Nope. Just saying not every invasive is the end of the world.

I think there is some truth to that. It sure seem like the waters[Mississippi] down have clean up.More weeds along the edges and even down deep. We even have about 3 other rivers that flow in the river that would muddy us up. Low flow helps us too!!!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Iowa Great Lakes?

A bit of an overstatement. Clearly, they use that term inside their own state.

Welcome to the AIS orgy. Come on in – the water is fine. Hopefully, you can maintain access.

Dog

owen nelson
    Iowa

Lake Ojoboji is known as one of the three “true blue water” lakes in the world, due primarily to its glacial origins and spring fed sources.

shaley
    Milford IA

I’m not sure West can get and clearer, we sight fish to 20′ and beyond at times through the ice….Sight fishing smallies just after ice outs a blast to….

dan03rev
    ALGONA, IOWA

Quote:

I’m not sure West can get and clearer, we sight fish to 20′ and beyond at times through the ice….Sight fishing smallies just after ice outs a blast to….

was just gonna say “any clearer ?”

shaley
    Milford IA

I could see my minnow and spoon at 32′ last weekend….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.