Office eye strain

• NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

I’m 44 years old with 20/20 vision. I’ve worked(and played) outside my entire life. I recently took on a desk(computer) job. This is week 2 of my new assignment and i can really feel it in my eyes. Fluorescent lights and a computer must be the culprit. (I just googled indoor sunglasses) Anyone else have an answer for this problem? Some of my co-workers claim they didn’t wear glasses until working in the office. Some of that can be ave related…but my eyes are killing me. I don’t want to lose eyesight any sooner than I have to. Will my eyes get used to this? Or does getting used to this mean losing eyesight? Any miracle fixes? Thanks for the help!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The light bothers me too. Sometimes it gives me headaches. I can’t say it’s something you will get used but just more or less put up with. It helps me to take a walk every so often while at work outside for a fee minutes. They sell blue tinted glasses to help with monitor glare. I haven’t tried them but I’ve heard they help.

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

I do walk away a few times a day. I wonder if polarized glasses would help. I left work at 5 and it’s now 930ish and I can still feel it. There has to be a screen cover that blocks some of the light. That won’t help with the fluorescents tho…

Sharon
    SE Metro

Follow the 20, 20, 20 rule. Every 20 mintues stare at something at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds. It really does help with eye fatigue.

I have worked in an office for 12+ years and I’ve never noticed an issue with the florescent lights. I don’t recall them bothering me in the beginning either. But you might just need to give your eyes time to adjust. Several of my coworkers don’t like them though and use lamps with regular bulbs instead.

munchy
    NULL

Are you in a personal office or a cube-farm? You can ask maintenance (or do it yourself) to remove a few bulbs in the light fixture above you. May not be able to do so in a cube. However you can see if there is a cube in an area with less light. Also check to see what temperature kelvin the lights are, in an office setting for optimum comfort you want 3500k or lower. Which means the lights will be on the yellower side. Too high/blue and it will strain your eyes.
    Also try wearing a ball cap and gamer glasses while using the computer.

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

Thanks Sharon! I will try that! I’m hoping they will adjust in time. Today was day 5 at a desk.

munchy
    NULL

A few more things, if you’re near a window draw the shades and have the monitor perpendicular to the light. You don’t want light in front or behind you.

Have you tried adjusting the monitor settings?

Reef W

See if you can install this: https://justgetflux.com

It’s main use is to dim your screen at night but you can also manually adjust the color temp all the time. I always have mine set to remove some of the blue light. It makes it much easier on your eyes. I’ll check what color temp I have it set to later when I’m at work.

Edit: I have mine set to 2700k which is as low as it goes. I tried to take a picture of the difference but it doesn’t really show up. Disabling it made looking at the whites of my screen seem like I was staring at the sun though lol It takes a while to get use to, people often ask what’s wrong with my monitor, but it’s much easier on the eyes and looks completely normal once you’re used to it.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

My biggest problem is the glare I get off the monitors. Try rising you screen up and tilting it down to reduce it.

robby
    Quad Cities

They do make monitor screen covers that cut the glare.

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

Thanks everyone. I’ve adjusted the resolution, tipped the screen down, and look away from it when I can. Eyes feel better today. I’m considering glasses to block what ever it is they block…i may contact our safety or erganomics departments and see if they have any solutions. Thanks again!

404 ERROR
    MN

X2 on F.Lux. I keep my screen at 4,000K. It takes a little getting used to, but it makes a world of difference.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Same as Sharon but also blink rapidly.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I typically start getting anal glaucoma by about Thursday.

404 ERROR
    MN

I typically start getting anal glaucoma by about Thursday.

Your work week must start on Wednesday… tongue

walleyevision

You need reading glasses. Welcome to your 40’s. Sorry bud, this is what happens. Lighting can make a difference, but you can’t fight nature. Your symptoms will only get worse with time too. Do yourself a favor and visit your optometrist.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I installed F.Lux and have to say thank you for the suggestion waytogo

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

You need reading glasses. Welcome to your 40’s. Sorry bud, this is what happens. Lighting can make a difference, but you can’t fight nature. Your symptoms will only get worse with time too. Do yourself a favor and visit your optometrist.

Yeah, I knew this day would come. An eye Dr visit went thru my mind. I’ve used a few techniques outlined in this thread and they did help…or my eyes are adjusting…

tim hurley

Florescent lights strobe-a slow strobe will give you various problems including headeaches.they say the strobe of a florescent is so fast to be not be seen or give you a problem-do you believe it?

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

In addition to what others have mentioned, I always kept a bottle of this on my computer to help lubricate my eyes. I would use it 2 to 3 time during my work day

Attachments:
    1. B165113A-495A-452D-8C7F-D8DC6A0896B4.png

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I used to share an office with a co-worker that could not stand the florescent lights. Facilities tried all kinds of lighting adjustments but eventually she got moved to another office because what worked for her did not work for the other two of us in office.

She ended up using a table lamp with a incandescent bulb for lighting. No more headaches and eye strain.

Charles

My office is starting to move to LED lights good lord you need sunglasses at your desk if you work in those areas lol.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.