Odd Year for Acorns?

• Jason Beaulieu

So as it typically happens year to year the oaks tend to drop acorns throughout a 3 or so week window. Usually about the same time just after the bucks shed their velvet and do the hard horned shuffle. I typically hunt mostly public ground but in turn I cover a lot of area throughout the central part of Wisconsin. Except for myself this year I have more than just struggled to find any sort of consistent acorns on the ground, I have literally found next to none in about any area I have scouted the last few weeks?!? I typically am not hunting large oaks ridges, mostly river bottoms, with a few mixed in oak “islands” so to speak. But simply have NOT picked up on anything yet. I have permission and hunt some private and public ridges that are best explained as, well “oak” ridges mostly red and a few whites mixed in but literally I can count on two hands the amount of acorns I have seen this year in some typical acorn rich areas. Anyone else see this throughout the first part of the season? It’s a little late in the to be focusing in on the acorns on the ground but was a little curious?

Protourbaits1

I’m in the east metro and have yet to see acorns on the ground. Last year was unbelievable and the deer were hitting them from opener to the first week of October. It might be because of all the precipitation that we had in September?

Northeast MPLS

We have tons of acorns in Northern WI, my neck of the woods seems to be largely dominated by White Oaks which produce and drop acorns every year.

If I remember correctly Red Oaks produce acorns in a two year cycle…if your area has a mix of Red and White oaks that could help explain the lack of acorns.

The deer have been absolutely hammering the acorns since the end of August!

big_g
    Isle, MN

My yard was full of them early sept, they dropped really early I thought and the deer sucked them all up already. Most every morning in Sept I would walk out of the house in the morning and the deer would be scattering. Around here, acorns are down and gone.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The Mille Lacs area had a bunch on the ground opening weekend. I watched the deer eat them, dodged a few as they fell etc… Seemed “normal” for my limited experience.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.