Odd question, what do you prefer tandem axle or single axle trailers?

• Charles

Thoughts or preference for tandem axle vs single axle boat trailers? I have been looking at a few 18 – 20′ boats but I am leaning towards having a tandem axle since I always fishing new lakes and they could 10 minutes away or they could be 8hrs way. Does the tandem trailer handle crappy roads better?

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I always want a tandem axle when it’s an option. I make long trips through pretty remote areas and 2 lane roads. With a tandem, if I get a flat, I can at least still get to a spot where I can safely change a tire or get a replacement. Flat tire on a single axle, and you’re at the mercy of the timing of the blow out. No shoulder? Oh well, start working that jack! Safety thing for me.

Single axle trailers are definitely easier to move by hand, however, my 2500+ lb boat isn’t moving much by hand no matter what trailer it’s on.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have a single axle, but I drive my boat to Mille Lacs on opening weekend and back home on labor day. If I was putting any kind of miles on the trailer and it was an option I would have a tandem no doubt.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Tandem for sure. Drive on the interstate with a cross wind and 18 wheelers and you would know the difference. With the single axle the trailer gets whipped around, with the tandem it tracks true. Used to fish Wyoming and Nebraska where wind is a fact of life – that’s why they call it “Winderful Wyoming”, or Western Nebraska – a great place to fly kites.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For anything approaching 20 feet, I’d prefer a tandem. They track better with less wagging and bouncing as has already been mentioned.

On the downside, you’ve got 2x the bearings and 2x the tires to maintain.

Grouse

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ideally, single axle. If it is for safety reasons only, tri-axle doah grin devil

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The way they make single axles now hard not to consider a tandem.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a single axle, but I drive my boat to Mille Lacs on opening weekend and back home on labor day. If I was putting any kind of miles on the trailer and it was an option I would have a tandem no doubt.

x2, mostly for moving an empty trailer around the yard when the boat is on the lift all summer….

Charles

Moving around is too big of an issue, bobcat helps lol. I think I am still heavily towards a tandem trailer.

badgerbacker

I had my 17′ on single axle before I switched over to a (overbuilt) tandem axle. I wouldn’t go back to a single. A little harder to move it around by hand; but way less wobble and bouncing on rough roads when towing. It also walks over bumps and even curbs at slow speed without bouncing the boat at all so I think it is even easier to drive/back up. Maintenance is a little more time consuming, but also less frequent. I just towed it 2,000 miles across country without a single incident but it was nice to know if I had a blowout there would still be a wheel under both sides of the trailer.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

…but it was nice to know if I had a blowout there would still be a wheel under both sides of the trailer.

On my one and only blowout I had no idea that it had even happened on my tandem axle. A passing car waved at me to let me know.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Single axle for me. I live 1.5 miles from the landing I do 99% of my fishing at. If anyone has ever tried to budge a tandem trailer by hand in a garage, it is a pain. I’m content with keeping up 2 bearings, 2 tires, and having the maneuverability.

Bass_attack

Get oil bath bearings if possible.
    Id go tandem to be able to limp it to a safe place to change a tire.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was happy to see the Skeeter Solera 189 was set upon a single axel with oil bath bearings.

I’m sure it will go on a trip someday soon, but since most truck tire irons don’t fit boat trailers…

Otherwise it’s travel will be trips measured in blocks and not miles.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

I prefer tandem axles. Like said above if you get a flat you can make it to a safe spot to pull off. The other big thing I’ve noticed is tandems seem to do a lot better going over potholes etc. You always have one tire on good ground so it’s a lot easier on the axle IMO.

Charles

Good to know guys, I like the fact being able to limp to safety if I need to.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Let not forgat that with tandum since you have twise the berings and ruber they take halve the use bc theirs twise as many, dat der.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Correct me if I’m wrong, in Minnesota you can probably get away with lifetime trailer license on a single axle trailer. Double axle you’re paying every year?

JoeMX1825
    MN

nope, lifetime license is for any trailer

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I was told that if your trailer is over 3,000 GVWR, that you had to renew annually. Got any documentation for that statement?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

the state of Minnesota watches that close. Trailers are licensed by gross weight, and licensing a boat trailer with a lifetime license when it is over the weight will get you a ticket if caught. My 4500lb shorelander has to be renewed every year. Unless the laws have changed in Minnesota, where did you get the information that “ANY” trailer qualifies for a lifetime license???

Charles

Well that is good to know,

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My new Skeeter single axle came with a plate.

I asked about a life time plate and it was said “we can’t do that”. I was thinking that I would have to apply because the dealership couldn’t…but it turned out it’s all about the weight of the boat as was said above in Mr. Pounders post.

Another thing I “HEARD” was anything over 18′ would need a tandem axle. Well that’s incorrect too. After a certain weight is reached a trailer needs it’s own brakes.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Incorrect.

The MN Courts website states that a fine of $20 + a surcharge of $85 will be assessed to “non-current/improper trailer registration” in regard to boat trailers.

Registering your trailer depends on weight:

Under 3,000 lbs―Requires a permanent registration decal that fits on the tongue of the trailer.

Trailers with ratings larger than 3,000 lbs require plates and must be renewed annually. Fees are based on weight.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

To summarize from the MN Court Website, it looks like if the total weight of your boat, trailer, motor, and gear is under 3000 pounds – you qualify for a permanent registration for the boat trailer. If your weight is at or above 3000 pounds, you should have plates and be renewing on an annual basis.

I did ask a CO last Summer about this, and he stated that it is something that they will look to be enforcing more strictly in the future. He also stated that if you have a tandem trailer without plates and proof of annual registration, expect to be fined as this is a dead giveaway. Some of the larger single-axle rigs are a little less obvious and you may be able to get away with it. Any fiberglass rig 18’+ with a large 4 stroke motor is going to likely be over this threshold as well.

For reference, I have a 17′ Tuffy fiberglass boat, 115hp Opti, and a single axle trailer. The GVWR of my rig is listed at 2800lbs. Based on that, I’d say there are a lot of people in violation.

Charles

Good points, well I learn more about license and trailers today lol.

FryDog62

If it requires a tandem axle then the boat is too big for me…

huskerdu

Tandem all the way , pull much better. Two sets of tires are about impossible to move sideways by hand.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I didn’t factor weight of the trailer in my answer, I just answered the question if a Tandem axle trailer was any different than a single axle in terms of lifetime license..

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Just remember you have to license it for the weight going down the road, so even if specs say 2700#, once you fill the fuel tank, cooler, tackle boxes, anchors, everything that is in your boat when it is on the road, that is what it has to be licensed for.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.