Oak Island- LOTW

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Thinking about staying up on Oak Island early August. Kinda always wanted to do it. Anyone else stayed up there before?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Stayed on Flag Island a few times….heard the places on Oak are even better. If you have the chance to stay up there you should do it.

Also nice up there because you can hide from the wind with all the islands.

shefland
    Walker

GO. stayed on oak and flag many times, plus canada will be open. Only downside is the 24 miles of gravel., can be BAD or go by boat and give yourself some leeway on time because of wind

Jason

I have stayed on Oak a few times. I took the land route once and hope to never do that again. If you got a trustworthy boat launch at Long Point and make the run up via water. Its approx 14 miles of open water before you get some coverage from the islands.

Ripjiggen

DUH jester will be fun. Just go and don’t think. lol

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Do it! I’ll be up there August 12 – 15th for a warrior tournament. We’ll be out of wigwam resort but will likely be running up towards garden island for fish for the tournament.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Driving in is pretty miserable: 25 miles of eating dust or mud, and both ways is gravel-blasting the paint off of your boat trailer if you drive over 30mph. A kid could make a small fortune with a power-washer set up next to Jerry’s.

Fishing is fine though! It only takes about 5 minutes in the boat to leave signs of civilization behind.

lindyrig79

I think I will go for it. The plan is to boat in from the south shore.

I was initially thinking this time of year would be basin related, deep cranks or spinners. But up in that area by the islands guessing it would still be more reef fishing?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I was initially thinking this time of year would be basin related, deep cranks or spinners. But up in that area by the islands guessing it would still be more reef fishing?

It’s always reef fishing up there.

Bob Spitz
    Osage Iowa

I’ve stayed at Sunset on Oak many times ice fishing. A very nice place with top notch food and rooms. Never did the open water trip yet. Beautiful area that is multi species for sure.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

how does one drive out to oak island? Is there a land bridge? i looked on google earth and dont see anything. just curious. ive fished LOTW plenty but havent been up to Oak island yet

edit – or are you guys talking about once in the NW Angle area and you get off the hwy and head east toward the water?

lindyrig79

how does one drive out to oak island? Is there a land bridge? i looked on google earth and dont see anything. just curious. ive fished LOTW plenty but havent been up to Oak island yet

edit – or are you guys talking about once in the NW Angle area and you get off the hwy and head east toward the water?

Yes they are talking about driving to NW Angle and launching from there, I believe.

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Kinda what I was thinking. Good with me.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Yep. You see a lot of guys pulling spinners and leadcore post spawn. That bores me to absolute death.

You’ll be smack dab in the middle of a million islands with all kinds of points and various structure. If you get any sort of wind do not be afraid to go up shallow on those wind blown areas and prepare to hang on. The big walleye, smallies, pike will move up. Slide out deeper as the sun gets high and if the wind dies.

There will always be a basin bite….they catch some big fish on the mud this time of year but you’ll be in 35’ of water just covering ground.

lindyrig79

Thanks Matt. I’d prefer to fish shallow, if possible

Pat K
    Empire, MN

A friend of my sons rented us his cabin on Oak Island a couple times. Great base for fishing in MN or Ontario if you can cross. You can see the Canadian border station from the north side of Oak Island. If you can find wind, gravel and weeds together you’ll find fish on either side of the border.

lindyrig79

Does anyone know where to find wave (surf) forecasts for LOTW? Thought I had seen something before but not finding it.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Does anyone know where to find wave (surf) forecasts for LOTW? Thought I had seen something before but not finding it.

https://www.weather.gov/fgf/lake_fcst_low

My rule of thumb is that we can go out any day 2.0 or less. We’ve been out in 2.4-2.6 on tourney days. I try to find 1.5 or under for areas to fish.

lindyrig79

Thank you Fife

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

That’s a great map to have…we usually peek our boat out past the gap and make go/no go decision. Turning around can have a pretty high pucker factor.

stjoeguy

I’ve ice fished from Sunset Lodge several times and have always had better luck on the Canadian side. I heard that the Canada border crossing rules starting August 9 apply to land crossing only and that crossing via boat will not be allowed. This would mean that while up at the NW Angle you couldn’t fish back and forth between US and Canadian waters using the remote check in. Has anyone else heard this or know whether this is correct?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.