Oahe off after Storm

• Todd_NE

Like so often here on the plains one days great bite is replaced by tough going after a serious storm. Two friends and I fished in a small hospital tourney up at Gettysburg this past week the two days after tornadoes and large hail pounded the lake and area.

We found the 21-23″ fish (like the couple Vince is holding) last Friday wanting Bomber 24’s and Deep Little Rippers in about 20-25′ off boulder and shale banks in the Suttons Bay area. White, White/Red and Chartreuse finish’s seemed best. Fish were on the bottom and suspended. There was absolutely no wind. We caught fish longlining, with leadcore and off boards. We also caught a few nice smallies and white bass along with some very small eyes. Stove Creek had a nice bite going for 10-14″ walleye on 1/2 crawler and bottom bouncer in 6-20′, mainly at the “old” weedline from last year around 13′ down. It’s tough fishing the weeds but the fish are in there.

On Saturday we had 25-30 mph winds and ran up to the island area. We pulled spinners in/over the weeds and caught a tremendous amount of fish under 15″ and one nice 22″ fish right at 13′ again. There was a lot of difficulty going back for fish because if you caught anything two boats would immediately slide into the area, typical Oahe point fishing. We just kept moving unless we had a point to ourselves. Fish bit crawlers mainly but the big 22 on spinner came on a minnow with a chartruese/org blade.

We fished the boulder bank above Bob’s and below Bob’s in the afternoon and caught a few smallies and lost a few walleyes in the waves as they were being skied in on top of the water on leadcore.

The bite is on but I think the bigger fish are south and the numbers are north of Gettysburg right now which is pretty typical. Some of the guys that fished in the tourney are very very good fisherman and never saw a fish over 15″ in a couple of days of fishing. The weather just really seemed to shut things down from what I’d heard earlier in the week.

We didn’t keep anything under 15″ though there is no size limit.

Good luck if you go and don’t forget to eat a Bob’s Resort steak. They are unbelievable, a steak sandwich is more than enough, much less “Steak Large”

schulzee
    Duncombe IA

Where are the islands at, are they just south of Dodge Draw on the west side? Going up after the 4th for ten days. Aways stayed at dodge draw but going to stay at Akaska camp grounds on the lake. Hope we do catch some fish, some to eat anyway! No fish is better then work!! And a beer or two or three!!

Todd_NE

Correct, the islands I fished are SW on the West Shore south of Dodge.

I hope you do well, I’m guessing more like 25-30′ when you’re there for fish, maybe deeper for bigger fish!

We didn’t chub any points, that’s always an option.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.