NY CITY…..do's/don'ts

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Heading out to NYC for the first time,so I am looking for some tips on what would be on the top of your list to do, and what not to do.
    We are looking at staying in Manhattan,any lodging ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Take your preference of headache medicines before exiting plane. I got a horrible one hours after landing and ruined my old Yankee stadium trip with the wife, and upon talking with many people having same experinces supposedly its the air pollution. Haven’t confirmed it with any data but seems to be a good scapegoat.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I was in Midtown for a week last November. Due to heavy workload did not get out much. Subway system is interesting . Great way to navigate city and cheap. All the delis are phenomenal. Get some pizza. Great irish bars also. Times Square is fun. I stayed at a Holiday Inn. $315/night. I did not experience rudeness. Folks were pretty nice. Just always in a hurry

desperado

$315/night for Holiday Inn seems pretty rude to me

desperado

Regardless of hotel prices, I would say; DO NOT try a camping trip in Central Park

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

DON’T come home with something you can’t get rid of without an antibiotic. A very wise man gave me those words of wisdom )

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I like St Giles Tuscany hotel. It is right next to Grand Central Station and a short walk to Time Square. It is a converted apartment building, so the rooms are much larger than typical nyc rooms.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I love NYC. The only problem is the cost of lodging. If I do NYC, it’s usually on hotel points built up from all my work trips. Otherwise, to become affordable, you have to stay WAY Off Broadway. But not to despair, here’s an idea.

Stay in Newark if you fly in there. Easy train ride into city, probably save $100 – $150 per night. If not Newark, then look for other hotels along the train routes into the city.

Do’s – Staten Island Ferry (statue of Liberty viewing for around $2), Chinatown, Little Italy, Washington Square Park, Times Square is a must, Central Park during the day, Empire State on a clear day, the memorial at Trade Towers site. Prohibition Pub Tours. Broadway Shows day of tickets. Grand Central station. Ride the subway, very easy once you have a map.

Don’ts – Moma, Believe anything a cab driver tells you, buy tickets from a scalper, wave like a moron on the Today show, Trump Plaza, Soho, Bronx at night, you know, be smart.

NYC people are friendly and helpful, but they do move so don’t get in the way. Ask if you need directions, people will help you.

Have fun!

ET

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.