NW Angle Report

• shefland
    Walker

Just returned from a 5 day fishing trip to the NW Angle, we stay on Oak Island, have been going for many many years, so much fun to return after last years shutdown. Crossing at Warroad went fine, no lines, had our paperwork in order, clear sailing. Weather was out of this world, never seen a stretch of weather like this up their in October, warm days and nights, even a few mosquitoes. Walleye fishing was outstanding, nonstop once you find them, not that hard to find. Now crappies? my fav fish at LOW in the fall, could not connect, only 6, have a milk run of spots and they were no where to be found. Water temps actually rose to 65, way way warmer then the usual lower 50’s and I have no idea where these crappies are in late summer on that lake, but thats where they probably? were. Anyone going to the angle by land beware, our return crossing was not without incident, you need to do the arrivecan deal again, but you also have to call in by phone, prepare to wait for a hour for them to answer, then questions, then they call someone, another 15 minutes, then they call back with another # for you to write down. Frustrating, I assume it is because of the remote crossing without any official officials on site. You have always had to call in at Jims Crossing, but this was ridiculous, hope it goes away. The Angle is a great spot to go to, so much enjoy that trip

stjoeguy

Thanks for the report. Did you fish the crappies in Ontario? If so, how did the daily checking in/out of Canada go?

Gregg Gunter

Great info, it didn’t dawn on me that you have to do a second entry into Canada. We took the ice road to Flag Island last winter which was our first time. They told me recently that the ice road was one and done. Looks like there will be a few more hoops to jump through now. Oak Island is on my list next time.

shefland
    Walker

yes ontario, no daily check in required, if you do not touch shore, anchor. or hook up with someone

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.