Not a recipe, but looking for one: bumper crop of tomatoes

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Other than a blt, turkey sandwich, omelets, and curry, what are some easy ways to use all these tomatoes on the kitchen counter! The garden hit triple 7’s this year!

Sharon
    SE Metro

I love to make spaghetti sauce with bunches of tomatoes and it freezes really nicely and easy to make! I just cook down the chopped tomatoes, with a green pepper or two, onion, garlic, Italian seating, a pinch of sugar, and a dab of olive oil!

If you have extra tomatoes I could help take some off your hands! mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1692878957844.jpg

LabDaddy1

Other than a blt, turkey sandwich, omelets, and curry, what are some easy ways to use all these tomatoes on the kitchen counter! The garden hit triple 7’s this year!

Nice- got to love a good tomato surplus! Although sometimes the cherry/grape varieties get to be a bit excessive lol. Then it’s time for big batches of italian cold pasta salads among the usual uses. Obviously my terminology is lacking.

What does triple 7’s mean? Is it a cards/gambling reference? Genuinely curious.

Normally I plant some peppers, tomatoes, and maybe cucumbers but this year I planted nothing. Some of these posts are making me regret that… crazy doah toast

picklerick
    Central WI

This one is super easy. Boil and drain any pasta, toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped basil and tomato. Top with parmesan. It’s good warm, room temp or cold.

Attachments:
    1. pasta-1-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

Pico de gallo and salsa lasts a while in the fridge but I wouldn’t know because a quart is gone in two days at my house. I probably eat 3-4 tomatoes every day when they’re fresh out of the garden. Sliced tomato with salt and pepper is a good side with most meals. Tomatoes can be frozen whole on a sheet pan then put in freezer bags. They last a long time. Use them for chili, stews, slow cooker recipes or pasta sauces later. For breakfast yesterday we had two slices of toast, a slice of American cheese on each side, tomato and a fried egg in the middle for an easy breakfast sandwich.

Jimmy Jones

Salsa and frozen are two ways to use some of them up quickly.

I make tons of spaghetti sauce and eat some fresh, as in last night for dinner, and then freeze what’s left over for winter use.

Bruschetta is another great way to use them and can be frozen for later use. I make a lot of this and freeze it for use in the winter. Add some pepperoni and grated mozzarella before baking and you have one super good, healthy pizza. I use lots of garlic and shallots in mine but it’s great with those two kept in check.

Jambalaya is a great soup that’ll use tomatoes up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can every spare tomato we have. It is so worth it to have canned tomatoes until the next season for cooking. We have one quart left from last year and it will be used to make our first chili of the fall.

Brad Dimond

Dehydrate slices, then freeze. They are great on pizza, in pasta recipes, etc. Also, as Tom suggested freeze them whole. Toss into chili, stew or soup in the winter. Also, agree with his suggestion for salsa. Can it and it lasts for a year or more.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.