Northwest Sport Show

• David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

A friend and I went to the Sport Show at the Minneapolis Convention Center yesterday. Has this show ever gone downhill. First thing I noticed was the size, it has dropped from using the full space (4 halls) to 3 as well there are no exhibits in the hallways or side rooms. Of course the show is down to 4 days. Still some good exhibitors yet you can tell the number of smaller guys have really changed. I’m sure that Covid changed everything yet some vendors I talked to stated that they were questioning whether they should have come or not. I guess it’s just getting too expensive for the return on their money. For some, It’s still keeping their name out in front of their customers. One has to question it when Plant’s and Things, an outdoor furniture retailer, is one of the largest exhibitors. I remember when it ran 2 weekends and I would go twice during that time. Oh well, I still enjoy talking to the resort people, got some issues answered with my Lowrance setup, and bought some delicious horseradish pickles and cheese.

CaptainMusky

bought some delicious horseradish pickles

GO ON! I get mine at Rusty Nail in St Stephen fantastic. The ones at Red ROoster in Genola are great too, but a bit too much horseradish for me.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

Bucky’s Bar in El Rosa make and sell them!!! awesome stuff!!!!

toddrun

I had pretty much the same experience. Best part was the low attendance, unexpectedly, so was pretty easy to see everything and talk to anyone we wanted. The pickle and sausage vendor was the busiest we past by, we did not wait for the free samples, kind of regretting that now.

queenswake
    NULL

I think the show is probably at a point where it should change. It used to be that guys could order their fishing boats at the show and they would be here by opener. Today, even ordering at the Jan boat show does not guarantee you’ll get it in time. So maybe this show can move forward some to a warmer time of the year and maybe have it at the State Fair? That way you could have some outdoor exhibits, etc. No one wants the hassle of going downtown right now and paying for parking. If you had it at the State Fair, the DNR building could open up and those exhibits could be part of it.

That idea aside, I would like to see more exhibitors with different kinds of outdoor stuff. Tents, overland rugged camper trailers, etc. There are so many cool products out there right now with the popularity of camping and being outdoors. Have some cabin builders, show off pre-fab cheap cabins that guys could put on their land. The show could then appeal to more than just us old fishing guys.

Ripjiggen

Worked the last two days. More than likely this show is coming to an end. I know multiple vendors that said they won’t be back.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Take it out behind the barn…

The last 3 sports shows I’ve been 2, 2 left me feeling like I wasted my time and the other I was lukewarm on. There’s no “deals” worth the hassle and giving up time to get there anymore.

Umy
    South Metro

Just got back. Went last year and it was “meh’ in my opinion.
    Less so this year – hardly anyone there either.
    Son bought a TRIKA rod -excited to use it. Guy was a St. Croix rods boy for a number of years before starting this company apparently.
    Guy I talked to at the Pure Fishing Booth had no idea who Ripjiggen is…….
    Maybe Rip was just trying to avoid outing himself to me……?

btyreprich
    Rhinelander, WI

A friend and I went to the Sport Show at the Minneapolis Convention Center yesterday. Has this show ever gone downhill. First thing I noticed was the size, it has dropped from using the full space (4 halls) to 3 as well there are no exhibits in the hallways or side rooms. Of course the show is down to 4 days. Still some good exhibitors yet you can tell the number of smaller guys have really changed. I’m sure that Covid changed everything yet some vendors I talked to stated that they were questioning whether they should have come or not. I guess it’s just getting too expensive for the return on their money. For some, It’s still keeping their name out in front of their customers. One has to question it when Plant’s and Things, an outdoor furniture retailer, is one of the largest exhibitors. I remember when it ran 2 weekends and I would go twice during that time. Oh well, I still enjoy talking to the resort people, got some issues answered with my Lowrance setup, and bought some delicious horseradish pickles and cheese.

I grew up in the Chicagoland area and I noticed the exact same thing happening to “our” outdoors show. In the beginning, the show ran for 10 days and was very well attended. Our group would go twice to pick out two lodges to go to that calendar year.
    As time went on, lodge owners we knew said this show was just too long and cost too much. As lodge owners’ repeat business grew, they said it just didn’t make sense for them to attend.
    I myself noticed the decline when show booths were sold to totally unrelated vendors: candy & nuts, replacement windows, insurance agents, even a booth selling horrible black velvet painting most of Elvis.
    I’m afraid the internet has changed shows forever. At least it was fun while it lasted.

Sylvanboat

Chicago Boat Show announced they are moving the show to the northern suburbs in 2025 and beyond. Attendance has been dropping for years and cratered in 2034.

Ripjiggen

Just got back. Went last year and it was “meh’ in my opinion.
    Less so this year – hardly anyone there either.
    Son bought a TRIKA rod -excited to use it. Guy was a St. Croix rods boy for a number of years before starting this company apparently.
    Guy I talked to at the Pure Fishing Booth had no idea who Ripjiggen is…….
    Maybe Rip was just trying to avoid outing himself to me……?

Didn’t work today.

Umy
    South Metro

wave
    my loss

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.