North fork composites ice rod build

• Jeff Telander

I recently received a NFC blank (after waiting 10 weeks for it!) and it is an unsanded rod blank. It has ridges all the way along the rod. Not a huge deal, but after some research I found that some people sand them and some don’t. If I do sand it, then there’s another question about finishing. Just looking for some advice from the IDO community. If any of you rod builders have some input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

what kind of ridges? Which blank did you get exactly? You can sand and paint with a quality spray can – krylon fusion or rustoleum ultra cover 2x

They’re excellent blanks, made in the usa with some of the best materials out there

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I’d say either leave it or do a light rub with a scouring pad to knock down some of it. How does the blank feel? I’ve been keeping an eye on them but it’s hard to know what way to go without getting my hands on them.

Jeff Telander

A couple of pics

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2989.jpg

2. IMG_2990.jpg

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

I would leave it alone, it won’t hurt anything. I believe that the spirals that you see are from the plastic wrap that is wound tightly around the rod to hold the graphite or glass material on the steel mandrel prior to the “cooking/curing of the blank. When done, the plastic wrap i8s scraped off leaving the ridges – some/most rods then mechanically sand off for looks and to lighten the blank…check out the original Ugly Sticks.
    bestfishes – jim

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

NFC makes ice blanks? I can’t find those.

Jeff Telander

They are kind of hidden in the delta series section. Look at the prices. They are the cheapest ones. ($45 for the one I got) or click on the link above.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

don’t sand those ridges! You can rough it up a little for paint but don’t sand the spiral wound section of the blank. These blanks are a little different than most people are used to – they’re high quality carbon tube butt/mid section and the tip is solid Zentron. These blanks have a very wide range of use due to their construction – very powerful in the butt to mid and very sensitive in the tip. The tip can be modified by sanding if needed. Be sure to tape the blank off before cutting and treat with care.

https://northforkcomposites.com/product-category/delta/ice/ 4 blanks currently offered

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

@Matzilla – do you happen to know what species each model is targeted towards? They sound very interesting and almost like a deadstick, I’d like to try one but without holding one it’s hard to know where to start.

Jeff Telander

Thanks, MP. I believe they are just ultra light, light, medium and heavy or maybe medium heavy? Mine is an ultra light. It’s the only one I’ve handled but the action is moderate, I would say. The zentron tip has the majority of the flex while the butt is quite stiff. I say “tip” but the transition is about half way on the blank. You can see in the pictures above. The zentron is white. I think they would make awesome dead sticks. Judging by the one I have. The other blanks could be a bit faster

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

Yep they cover UL to H and I wouldn’t be surprised if they expand their selection going forward. I’ve been meaning to get some in my hands since the first I heard of their development…maybe soon!

The M-H were intended for bigger fish (obviously) with H being built as the ultimate Lake Trout blank. https://www.facebook.com/NorthForkComposites/videos/10155985812904568/

Jeff Telander

Well, I cut it down. Was 34, now 29″. I like it much better now. Not going to sand or refinish. The graphite-to-zentron transition is growing on me. I think it’ll make a nice rod, being a two-toned blank. Just thought I’d clarify. The zentron tip is not solid. The rod is tubular the whole way through. I cut 1″ off the tip and even the factory tip end was open. Not solid. Surprising on such a small diameter blank.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.